Windows Vista Yes, you can install too much security

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Me, I like 'playing' with security programs, however, I just learnt today that one can have too much security. Yes, I know you should not have two AVs or Firewalls running at the same time, but this is a little different. ;)

I have installed, all at the same time ... SpywareBlaster, Spy Sweeper, SpyBotSearch&Destroy and Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS). Not unusual for an XP user, but Vista is a different kettle of fish.

All these programs have one thing in common, they will, especially as we tell 'em to, add a kill-bit to IE's Internet Security ... or shall I say, they add it to the registry, the idea being that you will not unintentionally visit or download anything malicious from the likes of DoubleClick.con (sic)

Well, I been going nuts with Vista Mail being slow, taking 3-10 secs to open an email and, a distinct slowness to general web browsing.

I finally found the culprit. :rolleyes:

MS security update KB931768

Well, actually, it "showed" me there was something wrong somewhere ... I have not had any of the major problems that some have been experiencing, just Google if you want to know, so I did not relate it to that particular update. MS has a temp 'fix' for the overall problem with XP, the said update & IE7 by the way. ;)

I tripped over the solution by accident, I can't find the link now either :blush:

Uninstalling the ant-malware programs does NOT remove the Kllbits from the registry or from IEs Internet Security Settings ... the 'solution' was to Reset IE7 itself ... Tools / Internet Options / Advanced / Reset ... well blow me down with a feather, it works.

One obvious side affect is, you need to re-enable all your addons, like Google Toolbar, for them to work again ... oh, and you'll need to type in your user name & password for previously saved websites. :p

One program I did not un-install was KIS ;) ... yes, it too has 'killbits' but unlike the other programs it manages these on its Todd, so you can add more malicious sites to the list if you need to, but it does manage this on its own anyway. :thumb:

I don't know what the limit is in Vista, but I do know it has changed from XP ... perhaps someone may be able to answer that one for me.

I wonder how many other people have had a problem, I know of one, but have not had it confirmed that this 'fix' worked for him yet.

Anyone here experienced a 'problem' like this in Vista ?

:user:

Ask a Question