XP Will not shut down

G

Hi

I tried uninstalling IE as I was having some problems viewing sites and changed to a different browser. I uninstalled it using the Windows Add/Remove programs|Components section. However, when I uninstalled it I started seeing weird behavior in my system, so I reinstalled it. The problem now is that everytime I shutdown my system simply freezes and never finishes shutting down. I have to manually hit the power button to perform a shutdown. So my question is how can I get my system to work properly when shutting down?

As a second and less important question is if this is what to expect when trying to uninstall IE, why bother even including a choice to uninstall it? Thanks.

G

I'm sure there are folk out there that are fully capable of uninstalling IE without difficulty, so it's perfectly reasonable to expect an uninstall option

I've been in a similar situation to yourself, & ended up needing to 'get someone out' to fix the mess I made (in an attempt to uninstall IE) so the answer to your 'small question' might be swallow your pride

As for the main problem, Have you tried using the 'repair' facility (which can repair some of windows corrupted files, which include program just as IE

I'd back up ALL your work to disk first incase it's beyond repair & you have to blame it on the Dog/Child/Solarflare to the Techie Man :
Good luck

J

Johnny_1

If you haven't noticed, uninstalling IE from add/remove
windows components only removes your desktop icons. This
is why when you go to reinstall from the same place, it
only needs 0 kb of disk space:

Go to Kelly's site:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_ie.htm
How to repair/reinstall IE6 and follow the ms article on
how to do this. And FOLLOW it.
-----Original Message-----
Hi,

I tried uninstalling IE as I was having some problems
viewing sites and changed to a different browser. I
uninstalled it using the Windows Add/Remove
programs|Components section. However, when I uninstalled
it I started seeing weird behavior in my system, so I
reinstalled it. The problem now is that everytime I
shutdown my system simply freezes and never finishes
shutting down. I have to manually hit the power button to
perform a shutdown. So my question is how can I get my
system to work properly when shutting down?
As a second and less important question is if this is
what to expect when trying to uninstall IE, why bother
even including a choice to uninstall it? Thanks.

Ask a Question