Windows XP XP Service Pack 2

Reaction score
I have recently formatted my laptop to purchase date, using the supplied recovery disc's and have been installing all the microsoft updates, and they are many. When it came to installing service pack 2, my laptops seems to stall when updating the registry or bios. It seems to be the install process as the laptop is functioning perfectly. Twice i have tried, twice i have had to take it off the system.

Laptops a few years old now but works fine, Sony Vio laptop with a mobile AMD Ahtlon(tm)XP2000+ processor, about 1.67ghz. 256 RAM.

Does someone know the answer

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Are you trying to install it directly from the MS site?

If so, download the complete file from Microsoft and install it from your hard disk, that may help.

Have you previously had XP SP2 installed?

If not, it may be incompatible with your hardware, XP SP2 didn't agree with a few machines.

Reaction score
Floppy is right, u can try to download the file directly from MS, make a google search, and try to apply it after the system is re-installed, i guess that maybe the sony restore install also the applications that had when u purchase the laptop and specially an antivirus. So after you have completly restore the laptop try to uninstall and antivirus program that sony installed during restoration reboot and try the SP2 install. Also have in mind that 256Mb of ram are low so the system can freeze during the installation of the SP, and specially if an antivirus is installed. Also do the process without any MS Update, directly apply the sp2.

Also if your system is SP1 or SP1a you can apply directly the SP3, but still the same thing applies, remove any antivirus installed to the system or shut it down cause it will make the system unstable.

Ask a Question