XP resources

Jim Scott

When I was trying out freeware on my Win98 machine, I used the resource
meter to compare the effect each had on resources ie did a particular
email notifier use less resources than my email client 'cos if it didn't
then there was no point using it.
XP seems not to have a resource meter and the one I used before doesn't
work under XP.
If I remember Tiny Resource Meter has quite a lot of detail and intrudes
on the screen, is there an alternative?
--
Jim

Tyneside - North East of England
To email me directly omit the X from my address
Visit http://freespace.virgin.net/mr.jimscott

bassbag

When I was trying out freeware on my Win98 machine, I used the resource
meter to compare the effect each had on resources ie did a particular
email notifier use less resources than my email client 'cos if it didn't
then there was no point using it.
XP seems not to have a resource meter and the one I used before doesn't
work under XP.
If I remember Tiny Resource Meter has quite a lot of detail and intrudes
on the screen, is there an alternative?
Windows XP is based on nt kernel and not the older 64k limitation setup of
w95/98/and me.In theory it doesnt suffer from any resource issue (in
practise it can)I do not think you can get a resource meter for xp in the
same sense as the resource meter you describe for your 98.I suppose the only
way to test programmes with XP is to check thier size , how much cpu power
they use and how much memory.I think this can be done with the task manager
in xp.
me

Jim Scott

Windows XP is based on nt kernel and not the older 64k limitation setup of
w95/98/and me.In theory it doesnt suffer from any resource issue (in
practise it can)I do not think you can get a resource meter for xp in the
same sense as the resource meter you describe for your 98.I suppose the only
way to test programmes with XP is to check thier size , how much cpu power
they use and how much memory.I think this can be done with the task manager
in xp.
me
Thanks.
I found one called EZmon and ran it. It works, but however much I throw
at it, it never seems to fall below 90%. That'll do for me so I'm off to
uninstall it.
--
Jim

Tyneside - North East of England
To email me directly omit the X from my address
Visit http://freespace.virgin.net/mr.jimscott

Thip

Jim Scott said:
When I was trying out freeware on my Win98 machine, I used the resource
meter to compare the effect each had on resources ie did a particular
email notifier use less resources than my email client 'cos if it didn't
then there was no point using it.
XP seems not to have a resource meter and the one I used before doesn't
work under XP.
If I remember Tiny Resource Meter has quite a lot of detail and intrudes
on the screen, is there an alternative?

For what it's worth, I just use Task Manager. If I want to track suspicious
apps, I click on "Processes" and then "Mem Usage" 2X to sort them from
highest to lowest. Under the "Performace" tab, you can track CPU usage (I
go to "View and set the Update Speed to "High").

bassbag

Thanks.
I found one called EZmon and ran it. It works, but however much I throw
at it, it never seems to fall below 90%. That'll do for me so I'm off to
uninstall it.
Glad you found one.As an afterthought i use freeramxp pro (freeware) to free
some ram up occasionally , but one of the benefits i also get from it is
that it can show system resources and warn with a pop up when resources
reach a certain point.You may not want to use the free memory function
within it but you can just use that function.It can be enabled to run from
start up or not and to system tray and uses very little resources.
http://www.yourwaresolutions.com/
me

*ProteanThread*

Jim Scott said:
When I was trying out freeware on my Win98 machine, I used the resource
meter to compare the effect each had on resources ie did a particular
email notifier use less resources than my email client 'cos if it didn't
then there was no point using it.
XP seems not to have a resource meter and the one I used before doesn't
work under XP.
If I remember Tiny Resource Meter has quite a lot of detail and intrudes
on the screen, is there an alternative?
--
Jim

Tyneside - North East of England
To email me directly omit the X from my address
Visit http://freespace.virgin.net/mr.jimscott

Control + Alt + Del will bring up Windows XP task manager, from there you
can select *PERFORMANCE* and that should give you what you need.

derek / nul

Hi Jim,

You don't need to worry about resources like 98 as XP will not run out of
resources. You are limited only by the memory in your machine.

Derek

Jack D. Russell, Sr.

* Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <[email protected]>
* Newsgroup: alt.comp.freeware
* Reply to: All; "Jim Scott" <[email protected]>
* Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 23:42:13 +0100
* Subj: Re: XP resources

JS> In article <[email protected]>,
JS> (e-mail address removed) says...
FL>> Control + Alt + Del will bring up Windows XP task manager, from
FL>> there you can select *PERFORMANCE* and that should give you what
FL>> you need.
FL>>
JS> EXellent!

You can also click the XP Task Manager "Process" tab, click "View" and
then "Select Columns" to add many more items to Task Manager's
arsenal.

*ProteanThread*

* Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 23:42:13 +0100
* Subj: Re: XP resources

JS> In article <[email protected]>,
JS> (e-mail address removed) says...
FL>> Control + Alt + Del will bring up Windows XP task manager, from
FL>> there you can select *PERFORMANCE* and that should give you what
FL>> you need.
FL>>
JS> EXellent!

You can also click the XP Task Manager "Process" tab, click "View" and
then "Select Columns" to add many more items to Task Manager's
arsenal.

People don't realize or forget that whatever version of Windows you have may
already have this stuff. :blush:)

Jack D. Russell, Sr.

* Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <[email protected]>
* Newsgroup: alt.comp.freeware
* Reply to: All; "*ProteanThread*" <rtdos hotmail com>
* Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 07:35:38 -0600
* Subj: Re: XP resources

P> People don't realize or forget that whatever version of Windows
P> you have may already have this stuff. :blush:)

Yep. Win XP has a very good although frequently underused help system.
It explains many features that the majority of users have no idea even
exists. I find new features almost daily. ;)