Xp Product Key not working for registering.

Smithjr1981

I have a friend who's running windows xp. It came on a computer she bought
and they activated the Xp, but never registered it, and a few days
ago...before logging in...it said that she had to put in the 25 key product
code. Well I had her go into safe mode and run a keyfinder program..and it
found her product key..but when she tried putting it in..it said it wasn't
valid...any suggestions??

philo

Smithjr1981 said:
I have a friend who's running windows xp. It came on a computer she bought
and they activated the Xp, but never registered it, and a few days
ago...before logging in...it said that she had to put in the 25 key
product
code. Well I had her go into safe mode and run a keyfinder program..and it
found her product key..but when she tried putting it in..it said it wasn't
valid...any suggestions??

If the machine was purchased legitimately there would be a MS tag on it
with the
number

Lil' Dave

Smithjr1981 said:
I have a friend who's running windows xp. It came on a computer she bought
and they activated the Xp, but never registered it, and a few days
ago...before logging in...it said that she had to put in the 25 key
product
code. Well I had her go into safe mode and run a keyfinder program..and it
found her product key..but when she tried putting it in..it said it wasn't
valid...any suggestions??

Take it back. XP never forces a registration. Activation, however, is
needed. That's why the product code entry requirement.
--
Dave

CDOs are how we got here.
A modified version, new taxes in the future, is how Congress will get us
out?

Daave

CDOs are how we got here.
A modified version, new taxes in the future, is how Congress will get
us out?

(I can't resist responding to your sig!)

I don't necessarily have a problem with "new taxes in the future" as
long as the following criteria are met:

1. More transparency in the government spending process

2. Less waste (or more efficiency)

3. Less pork (e.g., the Bridge to Nowhere)

4. Those in the top 1% pay a higher percentage than they currently are.
(Since they benefit from the U.S. infrastructure, they need to be
contribute to its continuation accordingly.) This will also allow those
in the bottom 99% to have more money to spend and/or save/invest.

But what do you mean by the notion of a "modified version of CDOs"? I
would like to think that the new legislation would make sure those risky
types of loans and collaterized "instruments" would all but disappear!

BrianB

If the computer is a branded one such as from Dell or HP, the key that the
keyfinder programs found is their volume installation key, not your friends
product key. The key they should use should be located on a sticker
somewhere on the case of the PC.

Brian

Bruce Chambers

Smithjr1981 said:
I have a friend who's running windows xp. It came on a computer she bought
and they activated the Xp, but never registered it, and a few days
ago...before logging in...it said that she had to put in the 25 key product
code. Well I had her go into safe mode and run a keyfinder program..and it
found her product key..but when she tried putting it in..it said it wasn't
valid...any suggestions??

If your friend has a factory-installed OEM license, and hasn't since
reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is that of the drive image
used at the factory and not her specific Product Key; therefore, it
probably cannot be -- and definitely should not be -- used for a
re-installation or activation. She needs to use the Product Key that's
stored on the CoA label that the PC manufacturer affixed to the exterior
of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

Daave

Lil' Dave said:
Take it back. XP never forces a registration. Activation, however,
is needed. That's why the product code entry requirement.
--
Dave

CDOs are how we got here.
A modified version, new taxes in the future, is how Congress will get
us out?

Hmmm...

I changed the subject line because I made it OT, but although I see my
post elsewhere, I don't see it on the MS news server:

Where did it go?!

Ken Blake, MVP

I have a friend who's running windows xp. It came on a computer she bought
and they activated the Xp, but never registered it, and a few days
ago...before logging in...it said that she had to put in the 25 key product
code. Well I had her go into safe mode and run a keyfinder program....and it
found her product key..but when she tried putting it in it said it wasn't
valid...any suggestions??

Two points:

1. You are talking about *activation*, not registration. It's
activation that's required, not registration. Registration is
completely optional, and doesn't use the key you are talking about.

So if "they activated the Xp, but never registered it," that's
absolutely fine.

Registration is used by Microsoft for marketing purposes, and is of no
value to the customer. If "it said that she had to put in the 25 key
product code," something was wrong with activation, not registration,
and it's reactivation that was required.

2. When the keyfinder program found a product key, it was not *her*
product key. It was the one used by the OEM for installation on its
many computers. She can not use that key.

If her computer came with XP installed, it's an OEM computer. Her key
is on a sticker affixed to one of the sides of her case.