Any link between malware and scam calls?

Reaction score
Hi,

My mother in law asked me to fix her computer at the weekend as everytime she clicked on a result in Google it was popping up with bing. Under closer inspection it turned out that she had a lot of malware on her computer, stopping her Adblock etc. I managed to remove it and let hr know and showed her how to do scans. She told me that in the past week she had 3 different calls from different numbers saying that her internet had problems/ computer hack etc and that she needed to press 1 or let them remotely control her computer to fix it for her. Thankfully she did not let these people and rang her internet provider and they tol her it was a scam. We reported the numbers on this website and saw other people reporting the same scam.

Whilst this is a common scam, Im thinking it is a bit of a coincidence that it came at the same time as all this malware. Is there any link between them or just a coincidence? Im thinking they might have put the malware on there intentionally so that she would let them control her computer as there actually was problems? Am I just thinking to deeply about his or could this be the case?

Thanks in advance!!

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
Yes the hackers will call you after the malware on her computer was installed because they read your keystrokes and files to gather your personal info. Microsoft Defender is supposed to catch things like that, if it didn't maybe you should consider MalwareBytes instead.

Ask a Question