Windows XP XP Logo Testing Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Alright, let me start simply:

• Operating System: Windows XP Pro

• Anti Virus Software : AVG Free
  • Anti Spyware Software : AdAware, System Mechanic 6

• How do you connect to the net : LAN Line

• Your Computer Specifications:
I built this comp in or around 2003. It consists of:

• Motherboard: ABIT NF7-S, Nvidia nForce2 chipset
  • Processor: AMD Athlon 2.17 ghz
  • RAM: 3 DDR slots, two of which are being used for a total of a gig of ram
  • Graphics Card: AGP, Nvidia GeForce FX 5700
  • Sound Card: Sound Blaster Live!
Alright, so I'm trying to install an external hard drive. Specifically a "LaCie" 200 gig USB 2.0 drive that I bought around the same time as this comp. I followed all of the instructions in the manual to a T. It's been formatted and is considered "Healthy" as drive F:\ in the windows management center. It shows up in My Computer, etc.

But now, I'm afraid to use it because I haven't completed the very last step in the manual, which would consist of me installing the USB 2.0 LaCie Drivers on my system from the CD that I still have. Everytime I begin installing these drivers it seems to be ok until I get what almost seems to be a death threat from windows saying that "This software didn't pass the windows logo test...no digital signature"...and essentially "Satan's minions will melt your harddrive with their firey fingertips if you proceed."

So, naturally, each time I try to get up the courage to install the drivers I quit. Is this just Microsoft being Microsoft and not wanting any users to add third party drivers or am I in serious trouble if I install these things? I mean...this is a well known company and the external drive is supposed to work with XP.

Any opinions? I gotta start backing stuff up...

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Firstly you don't need the LaCie drivers as XP does it all for you - the only reason to install anything from that CD is if it has some kind of utility software for backups etc.

XP is warning you that the unsigned LaCie driver has not been specifically certified by Microsoft to work with XP. This does not mean the these drivers will cause a problem, but it does mean that you could be taking a chance installing them.

If your drive has installed and is working correctly then theres no point in trying to install these LaCie drivers - so don't worry about it.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,

Ady is right, all Digital Signing really is, is Microsoft saying, look we haven' t given these the official thumbs up so if it works it works or if it contains any virus then its not our fault.

If it aint broke don't try and break it.

Reaction score
Easy enough answers. Very much appreciated guys :D

I suppose the only reason why I'm worried is because LaCie's manual says that if you don't see these drivers in the USB host controllers in Device Manager than the hard drive may not work properly?

It's like I'm getting threats from both sides :p

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Forget what LaCie say - XP's inbuilt USB drivers are fine and your drive will work without problem.

The only time you may need such drivers is if you are using an older OS such as Windows98 :thumb:

Ask a Question