Reaction score
Windows 7 PROBLEM with USB 3.0

Platform: Dell Dimension 4550 3.06 Ghz P4 HT enabled
Addonics Host Conroller 2-Port USB 3.0 PCI Controller
WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0/2.0 external drive
Transcend JF700 USB 3.0 16GB flashdrive

Operating Systems:

Windows XP SP3 with NECEL-USB3-Host-Driver-10170-setup works flawlessly

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 with RENESAS-USB3-Host-Driver-21281-setup problematic
Anything from 1 to 10 re-installations of USB 3.0 driver required for connection to take effect
Once achieved, connection is solid, can backup etc BUT lost on restart

Windows 8 Consumer Preview with Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0096 (Microsoft) This driver is Native to WIN 8, when uninstalled , RE-installed automatically with 'Scan for Hardware Changes' or Restart
Anything from 0 to 6 re-installations of USB 3.0 driver required for connection to take effect
Once achieved, connection is solid, can backup etc BUT lost on restart

OBJECT: Demonstrate that problem lies with WIN 7 / WIN 8 - Once connected, that lets your Host Controller and USB 3.0 drivers off the hook
METHOD:
A. Use USB 2.0 - Until the Windows 7 team get their fingers out, time lost trying to make USB 3.0 work, better used with that (slower) Backup.

B: For those who want USB 3.0 to work and have the thrill of faster Access/BackUp
1. TOOLS: (USB 3.0 Host Controller PCI/PCI-e in your machine)
USB 3.0 Extention Cable (NOT 2.0) for ease of access(!)
USB 3.0 HDD External Drive AND/OR Flashdrive- USB 3 AND/OR USB 2**
** Host Controller and Ext. Cable can also handle USB 2.0, USB 1.1 - Part of WIN 7 weirdness is when connected, on occasion, USB 2.0 Flash Drive NOT recognised (although connection sound, LED, made) - Problem Not experienced with WIN 8 - Solution: Re-install driver

2.(a) INSTALL USB 3.0 Host Conroller Software/Drivers (see list below) IF WIN 8 - not ness.
PLUG IN USB 3.0 Extension Cable (Otherwise you'll be on your knees, many,many times - unless it's a Laptop)

(b) PLUG IN USB 3.0 OR USB 2.0 FlashDrive - LED flashing, staying On, b-boing on speakers? - Good - Autoplay Window up? (might not be enabled) so check My Computer - Drive shown as 'Removable Drive'? - SUCCESS

3. ROUTINE for Multiple Attempts to coax WIN 7 into USB 3.00 connectivity
a. Start/Control Panel/Hardware&Sound then OPEN Device Manager (leave open)

b. Expand - Universal Serial Bus Controllers - (near or bottom)
Locate - Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller - (Ignore Root Hub)
Right click - select - Uninstall - Ok (If you tick box for delete driver, you'll need to re-install drivers)
REMOVE Flash Drive and/or Ext. HDD

c. Device Manager - Action (pull down menu) - Click on 'Update Driver Software..' / 'Scan for Hardware Changes'
What you want to see: [installing Device Driver Software] (Not shown WIN8)
Then: [Your Device is ready to Use]
Good, but no guarranty of success - failure message? Repeat Step 3b

PLUG IN Flash Drive and/or External HDD - Connection? - (see 2.(b))
IF NOT - REPEAT Step 3. (As many times as you can bear, my limit - 10 times per session) ( 6 times for WIN 8)

USB 3.00 Host Controller Software/Drivers tried on this Platform:
NECEL-USB3-Host-Driver-10170-setup
RENESAS-USB3-Host-Driver-21190-setup
RENESAS-USB3-Host-Driver-21281-setup
USB3.0_allOS_2.1.27.0_PV
USB3.0_allOS_2.1.28.0_PV
USB3.0_allOS_2.1.28.1_PV

OPINION:
This is a controversial topic, only in the sense that searches reveal many users with this problem and apparent silence from Microsoft (not slagging off, I am a fan)
For Example: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/Search/Search?SearchTerm=usb+3.0&CurrentScope.ForumName=Windows&CurrentScope.Filter=windows_7&askingquestion=true Microsoft Answers yields zilch for 'USB 3.0' search
The fact that Microsoft are now collaborating with Renesas (was NEC) on WIN 8 Native
Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0096 driver means that it should work and
any solution applied to WIN 7.

This cannot be a priority for Microsoft, only gentle pressure from users might help.

PROBLEM: Some Installations with WIN 7 don't encounter USB 3.0 bug, so:
BLAME: MOTHERBOARD / BIOS [Old PC after all] OR
Host Controller Hardware Card / Firmware OR
Host Controller Software/Drivers OR
OPERATING SYSTEM (o/s)

MY ARGUMENT and Simple Logic is:
IF USB 3.0 works flawlessly with WINDOWS XP
THEN Installations of WIN 7 and WIN 8 on the same Platform (Same Hardware),
which exhibit no other problems and are perfeclly stable, should work.
Once connection is established, USB 3.0 works flawlessly - no breaks or drops

There are enough clues above, for someone knowledgable to push the envelope along,
Putting it simply, WIN 7 / 8 are 'weak' in STARTING process even though Device Manager reports 'This device is working properly.'
It might reside at the Boot/Logon stage

That's all folks

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
drivers drivers drivers

A group of seven companies began development on USB in 1994: Compaq, DEC, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, NEC and Nortel. I err, don't see Hell in that list, but NEC are.

Drivers

For me, USB has been hit or miss since 1995. :)

Reaction score
Edited Version 1.1
Windows 7 PROBLEM with USB 3.0
Platform: Dell Dimension 4550 3.06 Ghz P4 HT enabled
Addonics Host Controller 2-Port USB 3.0 PCI Controller
WD My Book Essential 1130 2TB USB 3.0/2.0 external drive
Transcend JF700 USB 3.0 16GB flashdrive

Operating Systems:

Windows XP SP3 with NECEL-USB3-Host-Driver-10170-setup - works flawlessly

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 with RENESAS-USB3-Host-Driver-21281-setup - problematic
Anything from 1 to 10 re-installations of USB 3.0 driver required for connection to take effect
Once achieved, connection is solid, can backup etc BUT lost on restart - [Definitely NOT USB 2.0 performance, tested]

Windows 8 Consumer Preview with Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0096 (Microsoft) This driver is Native to WIN 8, when uninstalled , RE-installed automatically with 'Scan for Hardware Changes' or Restart
Anything from 0 to 6 re-installations of USB 3.0 driver required for connection to take effect
Once achieved, connection is solid, can backup etc BUT lost on restart - [Definitely NOT USB 2.0 performance, tested]

OBJECT:
Demonstrate that problem lies with WIN 7 / WIN 8 - Once connected, that will let your Host Controller and USB 3.0 drivers off the hook

METHOD:

A. Use USB 2.0 - Until the Windows 7 team get their fingers out, time lost trying to make USB 3.0 work, better used with that (slower) Backup.

B: For those who want USB 3.0 to work and have the thrill of faster Access/BackUp

1. TOOLS: (USB 3.0 Host Controller PCI/PCI-e in your machine)
USB 3.0 Extention Cable (NOT 2.0) for ease of access(!)
USB 3.0 HDD External Drive AND/OR Flashdrive- USB 3 AND/OR USB 2**

** Host Controller and Ext. Cable can also handle USB 2.0, USB 1.1 - Part of WIN 7 weirdness is when connected, on occasion, USB 2.0 Flash Drive NOT recognised (although connection sound, LED made) - Problem Not experienced with WIN 8 - Solution: Re-install driver - Step 2.(a)

2.(a) INSTALL USB 3.0 Host Conroller Software/Drivers (see list below) - IF WIN 8 - not necessary

IF ' [[Your Device is ready to Use] message not appear (WIN 7 only), re-install - Step 2.(a)

TIP*** Locate Downloaded Driver (Application) with Explorer and 'Send Shortcut to Desktop' - you may have to repeat re-install x no.Times

PLUG IN USB 3.0 Extension Cable (Otherwise you'll be on your knees, many,many times - unless it's a Laptop) to your USB 3.0 PORT

(b) PLUG IN USB 3.0 OR USB 2.0 FlashDrive - LED flashing, staying On, b-boing on speakers? - Good - Autoplay Window up? (might not be enabled) so check My Computer - Drive shown as 'Removable Drive'? - SUCCESS

3. ROUTINE for Multiple Attempts to coax WIN 7 into USB 3.0 connectivity:

(a) Start/Control Panel/Hardware&Sound then OPEN Device Manager (leave open)

(b) Expand - Universal Serial Bus Controllers - (bottom or near to)
Locate - Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller - (Ignore Root Hub)
Right click - select - Uninstall - Ok (If you tick box for 'delete driver', you'll need to re-install drivers) Step 2.(a)
REMOVE Flash Drive and/or External HDD

(c) Device Manager - Action (pull down menu) - Click on 'Update Driver Software..' / 'Scan for Hardware Changes'
What you want to see: [installing Device Driver Software] (Not shown WIN8)
Then: [Your Device is ready to Use] Good, but no guarantee of success - failure message? Repeat Step 3.(b)

PLUG IN Flash Drive and/or External HDD - Connection? then - (see Step 2.(b))
IF NOT - REPEAT Step 3.(b) (As many times as you can bear, my limit - 10 times per session) ( 6 times for WIN 8)
(IF you're getting nowhere , re-install driver - Step 2.(a)

USB 3.00 Host Controller Software/Drivers tried on this Platform:

NECEL-USB3-Host-Driver-10170-setup
RENESAS-USB3-Host-Driver-21190-setup
RENESAS-USB3-Host-Driver-21281-setup
USB3.0_allOS_2.1.27.0_PV
USB3.0_allOS_2.1.28.0_PV
USB3.0_allOS_2.1.28.1_PV (from Intel!)
renesas_nec_usb3_2.1.32.0(www.station-drivers.com).exe

OPINION:

This is a controversial topic, only in the sense that searches reveal many users with this problem and apparent silence from Microsoft (not slagging off, I am a fan)
For Example: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...entScope.Filter=windows_7&askingquestion=true Microsoft Answers yields zilch for 'USB 3.0' search

The fact that Microsoft are now collaborating with Renesas (was NEC) on WIN 8 Native
Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0096 driver means that it should work and any solution applied to WIN 7.

This cannot be a priority for Microsoft, only gentle pressure from users might help.

PROBLEM: Some Installations with WIN 7 don't encounter USB 3.0 bug, so:
BLAME: MOTHERBOARD / BIOS [Old PC after all] OR
Host Controller Hardware Card / Firmware OR
Host Controller Software/Drivers OR
OPERATING SYSTEM (o/s) AND even
CHIPSET [ Ivy Brridge etc. - That leaves most of us, far behind]

MY ARGUMENT and Simple Logic is:

IF USB 3.0 works flawlessly with WINDOWS XP
THEN Installations of WIN 7 and WIN 8 on the same Platform (Same Hardware),
which exhibit no other problems and are perfeclly stable, should work.

Once connection is established, USB 3.0 works flawlessly - no breaks or drops [Definitely NOT USB 2.0 performance, tested]

There are enough clues above, for someone knowledgeable to push the envelope along,
Putting it simply, WIN 7 / 8 are 'weak' in STARTING process even though Device Manager reports 'This device is working properly.'

It might reside at the Boot/Logon stage

That's all folks

PS. What ever you do, don't mention the CHIPSET, I mentioned it once but i think i got away with it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question