Windows 7 Trouble installing from USB (installation requesting drivers)

Reaction score
I used the Microsoft tool to create a bootable USB drive with Windows 7 Utimate (64-bit). When I booted from the USB drive and tried to install Windows 7, it asks for drivers or something and will not allow me to continue the installation. I've Googled and found that there are issues with USB 3.0, but my laptop only has USB 3.0 slots and no USB 2.0 slots. I also do not have a CD/DVD drive (my laptop is a Sony VAIO Z, the last model they produced). What else can I try?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It may want the drivers for your laptop in which case download the drivers for your model from the Sony website and put them on the usb drive in a folder alongside Win 7, Then when the install process prompts you for drivers browse to the folder on your usb drive that contains them.

Must admit I'm just guessing here, I've never installed from a USB stick.

I'm also wondering if installing Win 7 from the official Win 7 disk using an external optical drive may help.

Reaction score
Okay, I solved this problem by disabling xHCI in the BIOS. I was able to continue with the installation successfully.

Ask a Question