XP fax not identifying failed faxes

Jim S.

Greetings,
I use winXP fax for sending and receiving faxes at work, and sometimes
I can hear a fax coming in, but for some reason,the fax does not come
through. This could result in missing a quote and/or order from a
customer and I have no way of knowing who tried to send it.Can the fax
software be configured to somehow identify the sender even if the fax
does not come through fully? Would it help to get caller id on that
phone line. The phone line is a dedicated fax line with occasional
dial-up online use. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Probably so. I haven't bothered to watch an incoming fax for a while. Looks
like the TSID isn't displayed until the fax is received. None of those
features is configurable.
XP Fax was never intended to be a production level full featured fax
program. If that kind of performance is what you need, you probably ought to
invest in one.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Jim S. said:
"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
The Fax Monitor displays that information in the details pane that you open
with the More>> button.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Jim S. said:
Greetings,
I use winXP fax for sending and receiving faxes at work, and sometimes
I can hear a fax coming in, but for some reason,the fax does not come
through. This could result in missing a quote and/or order from a
customer and I have no way of knowing who tried to send it.Can the fax
software be configured to somehow identify the sender even if the fax
does not come through fully? Would it help to get caller id on that
phone line. The phone line is a dedicated fax line with occasional
dial-up online use. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

Russ,
Thanks for responding. However the fax monitor does not give the
number of the sender. It tells you if there was an error in receiving
the fax as well as the time, but that's all. I looked to see if I
could change or add the columns in the monitor, but couldn't. The
column names on mine are time & event.
Jim

Raghavendra R [MSFT]

You can look at 2 other places.
1. Event viewer - you may find an event log that has details about the
CallerID and TSID for the failed fax transmission
2. Activity log - go to "%ALLUSERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows
NT\MSFax\ActivityLog\InboxLOG.txt" and see the latest entry that has details
about the failed fax transmission

BTW, are you not able to receive any fax or is the failure only occasional?

--
Raghavendra R
purposes only.'

Jim S. said:
[...]

Thanks for your help.
The failed faxes are occasional. I get several faxes everyday that
come through fine.
I found the event viewer, I dbl.clicked on one of the failed faxes(it
says error)and under properties, it shows "from: callerid",then date,
event #, etc.But no sender fax number.
Sorry, but I did not understand your directions on how to get to the
"Activity Log", what or where is "ALLUSERPROFILE" ?
Thanks,
Jim

Jim S.

Jim S. said:
[...]

JS

Jim S. said:
[...]

Type cd /d "%ALLUSERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows
NT\MSFax\ActivityLog\InboxLOG.txt" on the command prompt and you should get
a notepad with InboxLOG.txt.

ALLUSERPROFILE is a system environment variable.

You'll not get the sender number unless the TSID contains sender number.
Sender number and TSID need not be same. And Fax protocol has a way to
capture TSID but not the sender number

HTH

--
Raghavendra R