Would you call this a scam

Jim Lee

From: "Citibank" (e-mail address removed)
| Add to Address Book
To: "XXXXX" (e-mail address removed)>
Subject: Citibank E-mail Verification: (e-mail address removed)
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:42:46 -0500

Dear Citibank Member,

This email was sent by the Citibank server to verify your e-mail
address. You must complete this process by clicking on the link
below and entering in the small window your Citibank ATM/Debit
Card number and PIN that you use on ATM.
This is done for your protection -- because some of our members
no longer have access to their email addresses and we must
verify it.

To verify your e-mail address and access your bank account,
click on the link below. If nothing happens when you click on the
link (or if you use AOL), copy and paste the link into the address
bar of your web browser.

http://www.citibank.com:[email protected]/?lXaKOoTx0tb5RWd

Thank you for using Citibank!

This automatic email sent to: (e-mail address removed)
Do not reply to this email.

R_CODE: oOvMh5PNYM01mwTnTQyE

Cari MS-MVP

Absolutely. No one should EVER ask for your PIN.

Cari
www.coribright.com

From: "Citibank" (e-mail address removed)
To: "XXXXX" (e-mail address removed)>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:42:46 -0500

[...]

Harry Ohrn

As Cari mentioned every bank will tell you to never reveal your PIN to
anyone so obviously this is a scam. Quite sophisticated don't you think?
This scam was featured on TV the other night. when you click the link to
"Citibank" you'll note that a link to http://klaspry.infobox.ru is run first
and then you are redirected to the Citibank site which is a legitimate site.
However the popup where you are to enter your PIN is really another site -
in this case Russian. So your number is harvested and it really seems like
you had visited a legitimate site.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell\User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

From: "Citibank" (e-mail address removed)
To: "XXXXX" (e-mail address removed)>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:42:46 -0500

[...]

CWatters

Contact the REAL Citybank immediatly to let them know you were sent this.
They will have a fraud dept look at it and it may help stop others being
ripped off.

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

Yes, and a glaringly obvious and well-known one, at that.

This type of scam is called "phishing." It's been done using
bogus eBay and PayPal logos, as well.

In fact, Citibank had already warned it's customers about this
very scam, back in August, if I remember correctly, so I can't help
wondering if you bother to read all of the enclosures that come with
your statement.

http://www.silicon.com/software/security/0,39024655,10005814,00.htm

Bruce Chambers

--