Would You Call This A Scam? LOL

Jim Lee

From: "Citibank" <[email protected]> | Add to Address Book
To: "Jimlee" (e-mail address removed)>
Subject: Citibank E-mail Verification: (e-mail address removed)
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:42:46 -0500

Dear Citibank Member,

This email was sent by the Citibank server to verify your e-mail
address. You must complete this process by clicking on the link
below and entering in the small window your Citibank ATM/Debit
Card number and PIN that you use on ATM.
This is done for your protection -- because some of our members
no longer have access to their email addresses and we must
verify it.

To verify your e-mail address and access your bank account,
click on the link below. If nothing happens when you click on the
link (or if you use AOL), copy and paste the link into the address
bar of your web browser.

http://www.citibank.com:[email protected]/?lXaKOoTx0tb5RWd

Thank you for using Citibank!

This automatic email sent to: (e-mail address removed)
Do not reply to this email.

R_CODE: oOvMh5PNYM01mwTnTQyE

Jim Macklin

The FBI will investigate because this involves interstate
commerce and banking.

Use the properties to get the full message source and send
the FBI fraud division a copy of the original message.

FBI http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

message Certainly sounds like a scam to me.

wpaulgp

http://www.citibank.com:ac- (e-mail address removed)/?lXaKOoTx0tb5RWd

Thank you for using Citibank!

This automatic email sent to: (e-mail address removed)
Do not reply to this email.

R_CODE: oOvMh5PNYM01mwTnTQyE

.
It is definately a scam do not send any bank details etc
over the internet ,unless you are buying something of
course. there has been quite a bit about this scam in the
press.
also when i log onto my bank account it gives a warning
about these scams and also says that no bank would ever
ask for pin numbers, bank account details etc over the net

please delete it
Paul w

I would send this to the (e-mail address removed)
and to (e-mail address removed)
They need to know also.
It's your identity and it's theft

JazChelle

Yes,

It has been attempted recently with customers of several
New Zealand banks to obtain login info.

Always manually access your online banking!

Jasmin

james

definately a scam..banks will never ask for such sensitive
inforamtion to verify an email addy...the doesnt need you
atm card# and pin that already have it and how would you
releasing that info verify your email??? definately a scam

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

Yes, and a glaringly obvious and well-known one, at that.

This type of scam is called "phishing." It's been done using
bogus eBay and PayPal logos, as well.

In fact, Citibank had already warned it's customers about this
very scam, back in August, if I remember correctly, so I can't help
wondering if you bother to read all of the enclosures that come with
your statement.

http://www.silicon.com/software/security/0,39024655,10005814,00.htm

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:

having both at once. -- RAH

From: "Citibank" <[email protected]> | Add to
Address Book
To: "Jimlee" (e-mail address removed)>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:42:46 -0500

[...]

Malke

Bruce said:
Greetings --

Yes, and a glaringly obvious and well-known one, at that.

This type of scam is called "phishing." It's been done using
bogus eBay and PayPal logos, as well.

In fact, Citibank had already warned it's customers about this
very scam, back in August, if I remember correctly, so I can't help
wondering if you bother to read all of the enclosures that come with
your statement.

http://www.silicon.com/software/security/0,39024655,10005814,00.htm
(snip)

And there was just a good article on this scam on SecurityFocus
(www.securityfocus.com).

Malke

Alex Nichol

From: "Citibank" <[email protected]> | Add to Address Book
To: "Jimlee" (e-mail address removed)>
Subject: Citibank E-mail Verification: (e-mail address removed) snip

http://www.citibank.com:[email protected]/?lXaKOoTx0tb5RWd

Worse than a scam - a fraud, aimed by a third party at capturing your
credit card details and defrauding you and Citibank. Note that the URL
is *not* part of the Citibank domain, at all.

It is becoming quite a common fraud - and be *especially* wary of
anything asking for PIN numbers.

Let Citibank know (at their *proper* address) - though they are probably
well aware, every extra bit of evidence may help track the people down

rifleman

Alex Nichol said:
b5RWd

Worse than a scam - a fraud, aimed by a third party at capturing your
credit card details and defrauding you and Citibank. Note that the URL
is *not* part of the Citibank domain, at all.

It is becoming quite a common fraud - and be *especially* wary of
anything asking for PIN numbers.

Let Citibank know (at their *proper* address) - though they are probably
well aware, every extra bit of evidence may help track the people down

The funny thing was, I got an email purporting to be from the
Halifax/Citibank, and I don't even have an account with the Halifax or
Citibank!