DHL delivery notification scam

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I just wanted to give a quick heads-up, regarding a bogus email, which claims to come from the delivery company, DHL. (Quite possibly, DHL is not the only courier that is being impersonated. This is a pretty good time of year to scam people, when there are lots of mail-order parcels floating about.)

In my case, Thunderbird (my email client) had auto-consigned the scam mail to the junk folder (which I happened to be checking.) But here's an example of the mail:

The return address was "mjcadx @ speedy.com.ar" (Argentina.) I daresay the jumble of letters at the beginning, will alter frequently.
Dear customer,

We attempted to deliver your item at 10:10 AM on Nov 20th, 2013.

The delivery attempt failed because nobody was present at the shipping address, so this notify (sic) has been automatically sent.

If the parcel is not scheduled for redelivery or picked up within 72 hours, it will be returned to the sender.
Label Number: 6AD699CB67

Expected Delivery Date: Nov 20th, 2013

Class: Package Services

Service(s): Delivery Confirmation

Read the enclosed file for details.

Thank you,

(c) 2013 Copyright DHL INC 2013. All Rights Reserved.

*** This is an automatically generated email, please do not reply ***
There was (of course) a zipped attachment at the bottom!

I realise that most forum "regulars" are going to spot these things pretty easily... but perhaps it will be helpful to others who visit PCR. :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
aye, a good time to be vigilant at this time of year.

I will repeat myself however, never, NEVER, NEVER reply to any link in any email. :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Not got this yet. But keep getting e-mails to tell me my iTunes password was changed and there has been suspicious activity on my ebay account, which is kinda funny as I don't have an ebay account.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well done for posting TC.

My current niggle is emails telling me my Paypal account has been suspended or variations on that theme, getting about three a day.

Yes, of course I'll reply to your link and give you all my login information, I'm helpful like that :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yeah good heads up Tc

I keep getting those emails Flopp's from Paypal to an address I never use with Paypal..They do make me laugh! :lol:

Reaction score
Trouble is that there are so many naïve people out there. Thanks for the heads up though TC:thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thanks guys. :) To be honest, I thought of contacting DHL about it, but on visiting their website, there was a "fraudulent e-mail" alert. So thumbs up to them for informing their customers. :thumb:

Oh yes, those alerts regarding PayPal/eBay/Facebook... etc...etc... keep appearing in my other e-mail accounts too. I don't actually have an account with any of them either, lol.

Ask a Question