From: "epi-pissed!" <[email protected]>
Subject: Wireless Network not detected after sleep or start-up
Date: Tuesday, 30 December 2008 9:00 AM

I have a toshiba with vista installed.
I can connect to my home wireless which is just like 20-25 feet away
regulary after a start up or restart.
Whenever i come out of sleep-mode/stanby/hibernate, my laptop will not
detect my wireless network, but it will find my neighbors',
To fix this i have to un-plug re-plug-in in my wireless router power and
then it's right back there.

any exact solutions?

epi-pissed!

i know some people have problems with the power options, but i already looked
into that and didnt find anything that would interfere..yet

And no i dont have a wirelessphone, the only other wireless device in my
whole house is my other laptop, which is always off.

+Bob+

i know some people have problems with the power options, but i already looked
into that and didnt find anything that would interfere..yet

Go into Power Options, Advanced, change the wireless card to Maximum
Performance. Then go into Device Manager, Wireless Card, Advanced,
change it to not allow Vista to power off the device.

There's a Vista issue with some routers. Vista attempts to use a newer
protocol negotiation vs. XP. Check this link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233
And no i dont have a wirelessphone, the only other wireless device in my
whole house is my other laptop, which is always off.

It won't hurt to change the channel. There may be interference in your
area from someone else's devices. Use channel 1, 6, or 11.

rak

Presumably you've already checked to make sure your network is the preferred
one and it is set for auto connect?? Is it being managed by windows or, eg.
by linksys easy link advisor? ELA has a forum. It also has issues.

Joe Morris

+Bob+ said:
There's a Vista issue with some routers. Vista attempts to use a newer
protocol negotiation vs. XP. Check this link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

Interesting; neither I nor (so far as I know) any of my users have
encountered an environment where DHCP requests with the BROADCAST bit set
are mishandled. Do you know of any specific products that need the
workaround documented in the KB article? (It's not like the BROADCAST flag
was just invented; RFC 2131 defined it in 1997...)

Joe Morris

+Bob+

Interesting; neither I nor (so far as I know) any of my users have
encountered an environment where DHCP requests with the BROADCAST bit set
are mishandled. Do you know of any specific products that need the
workaround documented in the KB article? (It's not like the BROADCAST flag
was just invented; RFC 2131 defined it in 1997...)

Joe Morris

I have not studied this to the level that I can say "here's a router
with the problem". However, I do know of networks (one I connect to a
couple times a month) that are troublesome for some reason... and
coincidentally XP did not have the difficulty. However, in my case
I've been able to hack it into recognition by disabling and enabling
the net card, re booting, releasing and renewing the IPconfig, etc.
So, my test is at best ambiguous.

I will have to set the bit on this machine BEFORE I head back over
there and see if it hooks up without difficulty. Then I might have a
hard example in hand.

Bottom line though - this is established enough that MS was willing to
document it...