Windows XP Wireless Network Setup

Reaction score
Help!

I am trying to run the wireless network setup wizard on my PC, so i run it, it asks me whether i want to create a new one or add some computers. i click add PC's, It asks me if i want to use a flash drive, i click yes. It tells me to put the drive in my router, HOW?

I want to run this wizard, to share Drives, Files etc...

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
you don't need to touch your router.

you can either use a flash drive or floppy to copy the settings around the machine.

if your struggling with the wizard then jut just go to each machine right click my computer click properties then click computer name then change, type in a unique but recognisable name for each machine, the description is optional. then just make sure that the workgroup is the same on each machine you can your workgroup whatever you like.

then all you need to do is reboot each machine and then share the folders/drives/printer that you want to.

to share a folder simply right click on the folder, click properties then sharing and security and tick share this faolder you can then type a name of your choice for the folder whick will be displayed when browsing the network.

have fun.

Reaction score
I'm Stupid, Can you guide me through it please?

Please Note: I am trying to use the 'wireless network setup wizard' NOT 'network setup wizad'

I have tried EVERYTHING!

KGB

Reaction score
so the network isn't setup at all?

are all the machines connected to the router, to test try and ping your router from each machine.

J

Reaction score
The Netowrk is set up a bit, i can acces the internet from each PC,

But when i click on 'view available workgroup computers' nothing happenes.

How do i Ping my router (All i have is an apple airport express)

Reaction score
if they can all access the net ok then the wireless connections are fine.

just run through what i said before...

just go to each machine right click my computer click properties then click computer name then change, type in a unique but recognisable name for each machine, the description is optional. then just make sure that the workgroup is the same on each machine you can your workgroup whatever you like.

then all you need to do is reboot each machine and then share the folders/drives/printer that you want to.

to share a folder simply right click on the folder, click properties then sharing and security and tick share this faolder you can then type a name of your choice for the folder whick will be displayed when browsing the network.

have fun.

Reaction score
Sorrry, But the above does not work!

The internet is NOT going through a PC, just through the apple airport express, I cannot get the workgroup to work!

Reaction score
never used on of those apple things.

don't think it'll do what you want it to do.

buy a wireless router they are made for this.

Reaction score
I have found out why it wouldn't work...

Something called 'Wireless Zero Configiration' was not set up right on one of the machines, i am going to try again now i have set that thing up...

KGB

Reaction score
The network setup wizard went wihout any problems, how do i share Drives & Printers?

I cannot access a workgroup!

Reaction score
Yee Haa! It's working, i don't know what was wrong...

I have spent 2 days randomly changing settings, and finally it works!

Thanks all,
KGB

Ask a Question