Windows XP Network Connection Wizard cannot detect wireless hardware

Reaction score
I'm trying to set up a home network on an XP machine and a Win98SE machine, primarily to share a wireless adsl connection. Have got the XP machine set up fine and running through the router wirelessly, but having problems with the 98 machine. When I try to run the network connection wizard, it gets partway through, to the reboot point, but when it restarts, I get a message saying the wizard cannot finish because there is no hardware. However, in the device manager, the network card is showing up as working correctly. It also shows that it is working on the task bar, and the info that comes up tells me it can see the router (tho I can't get the 98 pc to access the net through it), and possibly the other wireless card (as it seems to show 2 possible networks). It flashes on startup etc, so is connected correctly. I'm stumped! Have tried all the usual reboots etc with no joy. I'm using a BT voyager 2100 wireless modem/router, and a Belkin wireless G usb network adapter on each PC. All suggestions appreciated before I take a hammer to it!

Ask a Question