T

The Money Keeper

Hi,

I have a asus p4p800, whith a Pentium 4 3Ghz processor,
and when I open Internet explorar 6, windows xp just
restart for him self, sometime just in the second I open
IE, and sometimens I navigate a litle bite then it
restart the pc.

What could be the problem. can you please help me ?

I desabled the Intel Hyper-Threading Technology on bios,
and the problem seem to desapear, but I can't have the
Intel Hyper-Threading Technology desabled, because,
what's the point of having this technology and not using
it.

Thanks in advance,

B

Bill James

First recommendation if to disable automatic rebooting on crash. Do that from Control Panel, System, Advanced tab. With that turned off, in most cases you will get a blue error screen upon crash that will give details of what caused the crash, and that information can be helpful. If this is only happening when you launch Internet Explorer, that is a clue but doesn't necessarily mean it is IE itself causing the crash. I would download, update, and run SpyBot to detect and remove any spyware/adware which might be running (a good idea regardless). If you are running any type of popup blocker, try disabling that. Also, I would temporarily change the IE home page to a blank page. As with any troubleshooting, the idea is to narrow down the possible causes. Along that same line, you can temporarily disable the NIC (network card). You won't be able to do anything in IE except view HTML files on your local hard drive, but helps to narrow down the suspects.

--

Bill James
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Win9x VBScript Utilities » www.billsway.com/vbspage/
Windows Tweaks & Tips » www.billsway.com/notes_public/

Ask a Question