Intel may be working on new Core i5, i7 processors to counter AMD Ryzen

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
AMD are set to launch their latest CPU, Ryzen, early next month, and rumour has it that Intel are working on new Core i5 and i7 processors to take it on in the marketplace. Extreme Tech has more:

First up, there’s the Core i7-7740K — a Kaby Lake chip with a 4.3GHz base frequency and a supposed 4.6GHz Turbo frequency. Next, there’s the Core i5-7640K with a similar modest frequency bump (4GHz base clock compared with 3.8GHz). Canard PC isn’t sure whether this chip would have Hyper-Threading or not. This isn’t a crazy proposal, given that Intel just added Hyper-Threading to the Pentium family, but I think a degree of skepticism is warranted given the timing of these announcements.

It is unusual, though scarcely unheard of, for a company to push out a faster version of a core within just two months. Typically this is done when a competitor shoves its faster version of a chip out the door. Given that AMD is prepping to launch a major architectural revision, it therefore makes sense to think Intel might be prepping new launches of its own.

Read more here.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I look forward to seeing how the new AMD chip family performs, it would be good to see them out in front again.

I also wonder if a) It takes a competitor to spur Intel to make a better CPU and b) If Intel do manage something to rival the new AMD whether it will be stable or suffer from instability.

From my own perspective I have two main machines with i7s, one almost a year old and the other around 5.5 years old, both of which I'm very happy with.

The last AMD setup I had, however, built around 2012, proved to be a bit flakey. Let's hope AMD manage to hit the sweet spot.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Kaby Lake ... will be a slightly overclocked, slightly optimized SkyLake. :nod:

Ask a Question