Windows XP Genuine Advantage - Software Counterfeiting.

We are having serious problems with this new bit of software from Microsoft.
All of our PCs are genuinly licenced and have the certificates/keys stuck on
the PCs - we also have all original CDs. When I visit the
www.microsoft.com/genuine site (or the www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag site)
all 20 PCs in our office validate successfully - they are all able to
download files from Microsoft's download site and download updates from
Microsoft Update.

However, occassionally (and not every time!) when our PCs boot they warn
that Windows is not genuine. Clicking to resolve the problem visits this site:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/do...01&sGuid=cd936a2d-c2d7-47b8-a87c-2ab482ef10d2

Which reads: "You have encountered an unknown error. Please contact your
local product support team for further assistance with this issue." (Error
code: 0x80080299). I cannot however contact Microsoft as they are saying I
have no support tickets included as the product is OEM.

Can someone please help me here. I suspect the issue is down to our wireless
network. If the PC has not connected to the network at startup. It is an
802.11G network with multiple access points and a Wireless Network Policy
defined in Active Directory. Authentication is done for the computer and then
the user when logged on using 802.1X RADIUS on Windows Server 2003. There is
a preshared key using AES over WPA and we are not using certificates. Not all
PCs connect immediately as occasionally the 4-way handshake fails - this I
think results in Windows assuming it is not valid.

This is extremely irritating and I need a solution to either disable the
checking altogether or an update to ensure that Windows is not "marked" as
invalid because there is no network connection! Just so no one points at
system time and date as the cause our PDC is synced to time.windows.com and
our client PCs all sync with the PDC. This seems an exceptionally fragile way
to fail validation - I assume it is because kerberos is being used somewhere
along the line.

Here are the results of the diagnostic tests:

Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Results
Passed - Active scripting allowed
Passed - Display images enabled
Passed - Computer time and date correct
Passed - ActiveX enabled
Passed - Microsoft ActiveX controls loading
Passed - ActiveX controls connect with Microsoft validation servers

Clicking the Validate Windows button results in:
Validation Complete!
Thank you for validating your copy of Microsoft Windows.

Thank you for using the Windows Genuine Advantage program. You may now
access resources for genuine Windows users.

Someone please help as this is extremely irritating for my users and for
myself! I noticed that there are many cracks already circulating for the WGA
program - it seems the only people suffering from its implementation are
those who have purchased legitimate software!

Thanks in advance
Jason.

Alias

Jason Gates wrote:
it seems the only people suffering from its implementation are
those who have purchased legitimate software!

Thanks in advance
Jason.

Yep. One would think that if one thought someone was stealing from one,
one would call the police or the FBI not subject legit, paying customers
to these nightmares.

Alias

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

There's a special forum you may be able to get assistance from
WGA MS Forums:
http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=125&SiteID=25

--

===========================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2006

"Jason Gates, The Beattie Partnership" <Jason Gates, The Beattie
> [...]
|
| Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Results
| Passed - Active scripting allowed
| Passed - Display images enabled
| Passed - Computer time and date correct
| Passed - ActiveX enabled
| Passed - Microsoft ActiveX controls loading
| Passed - ActiveX controls connect with Microsoft validation servers
|
| Clicking the Validate Windows button results in:
| Validation Complete!
| Thank you for validating your copy of Microsoft Windows.
|
| Thank you for using the Windows Genuine Advantage program. You may now
| access resources for genuine Windows users.
|
| Someone please help as this is extremely irritating for my users and for
| myself! I noticed that there are many cracks already circulating for the WGA
| program - it seems the only people suffering from its implementation are
| those who have purchased legitimate software!

Alias

TaurArian said:
There's a special forum you may be able to get assistance from
WGA MS Forums:
http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=125&SiteID=25

Oh boy, a special forum for the flawed BETA WGA program! Course, if you
don't act right, you will be censored and banned when, in reality, the
WGA spyware should be banned and MS should be required to send a tech --
free of charge -- to customers' homes and businesses to remove the spyware.

Alias

kurttrail

Get rid of MS's beta malware:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/...s-genuine-advantage-notifications-nag-screen/

http://patch-info.de/WinXP/2006/06/07/05-47-32.html

--
Peace!
Kurt Kirsch

Roberto le Corneille

Jason Gates wrote:
it seems the only people suffering from its implementation are

Yep. One would think that if one thought someone was stealing from one,
one would call the police or the FBI not subject legit, paying customers
to these nightmares.

Alias

Yes this WGA business is quite disconcerting and a pain in the )*(
But you don't have to install WGA [KB905474]if your software is legal,
do a custom update and accept KB982130 [new validation tool] then you
will be able to tell it to not show KB905474 next time you do an
update. You will get dire warnings about being at risk etc, etc on
future visits to the update site just ignore them.

rgds
Roberto

Alias

Roberto said:
Jason Gates wrote:
it seems the only people suffering from its implementation are
Yep. One would think that if one thought someone was stealing from one,
one would call the police or the FBI not subject legit, paying customers
to these nightmares.

Alias

Yes this WGA business is quite disconcerting and a pain in the )*(
But you don't have to install WGA [KB905474]if your software is legal,
do a custom update and accept KB982130 [new validation tool] then you
will be able to tell it to not show KB905474 next time you do an
update. You will get dire warnings about being at risk etc, etc on
future visits to the update site just ignore them.

rgds
Roberto

Oh, I plan to reinstall XP and put it on AU with download but let me
choose and not put any of the WGA spyware on my machine. I don't need
another BETA program like Defender or anything else that's offered if
you go through the WGA ordeal.

Alias

NoStop

Get rid of MS's beta malware:
Why would he want to do this? According to MickeyMouse Fanboy Leythos, who
administers hundreds of workstations, WGA is NOT a problem. You have to
believe him as he also says that GW Bush is not a problem either. You know
it's not nice to challenge a patriot. It's tantamount to questioning Lou
Dobbs on illegal aliens and providing them with a way to get around the
Minutemen vigilantes.

--
The ULTIMATE Windoze Fanboy:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2370205018226686613

View Some Common Linux Desktops ...
http://linclips.crocusplains.com/index.php

NoStop

Oh boy, a special forum for the flawed BETA WGA program! Course, if you
don't act right, you will be censored and banned when, in reality, the
WGA spyware should be banned and MS should be required to send a tech --
free of charge -- to customers' homes and businesses to remove the
spyware.

Alias

Oh puhleeze ... the last thing you'd want is a MickeyMouse "tech" touching
your system. It's already being touched enough remotely with MickeyMouse
spyware.

--
The ULTIMATE Windoze Fanboy:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2370205018226686613

View Some Common Linux Desktops ...
http://linclips.crocusplains.com/index.php

Jason - you might want to see my post entitled:

"Victim/Counterfeiting" message continues to show despite passing validation
+ several reboots + fixes

....where I have quoted your problem as it is similar to mine. Screw the
foundation, I bloody-well want Bill himself rocking up at my door to resolve
the issue at this point.