Windows XP Explorer hangs

gabriel

Hi,

all of a sudden (I never had this phenomenon before) the explorer hangs
when trying to delete a file or folder.

The solution I use is via Taskman.exe killing explorer.exe and starting
explorer.exe (strangely enough after that everything works well during
the logon session).

What can cause this problem and is there a solution other than to
reinstall the OS.
I already reinstalled SP3 without any result.

My configuration is as follows:
Windows XP Pro with SP3

If anyone could help me with this problem I would be most grateful.

gabriël

Andrew E.

Open event-viewer & get specific details,you'll probably find more areas
that need attention.

Bill in Co.

You can always use System Restore to roll back to a prior checkpoint (prior
to when this happened, if it just happened). That may be the simplest
soln.

gabriel

Andrew said:
Open event-viewer & get specific details,you'll probably find more areas
that need attention.
thanks for the quick response, but I already checked the Event viewer
(application and system) for errors, but I can't find any.

gabriel

Bill said:
You can always use System Restore to roll back to a prior checkpoint (prior
to when this happened, if it just happened). That may be the simplest
soln.
Thanks for the quick response.
Actually I did a System Restore prior to mailing this error to this
newsgroup but to no avail. I searched the Net in order to find people
with the same problem and there were many, but with no solution.

Gerry

The Real Truth MVP imposter attempts another sucker punch! Gabriel be
warned.

--

Gerry
~~~~

Anna

gabriel said:
Thanks for the quick response.
Actually I did a System Restore prior to mailing this error to this
newsgroup but to no avail. I searched the Net in order to find people
with the same problem and there were many, but with no solution.

gabriel...
First of all we'll assume your system is malware-free.

Have you tried running the sfc /scannow and/or the chkdsk /r commands?

Assuming those haven't resolved the problem, are you familiar with the XP OS
Repair process? This assumes you have an XP OS installation CD that's either
a non-branded OEM or retail version. In general, the so-called "recovery" or
"restore" type of CDs provided by many OEMs will not provide this Repair
install capability.
Anna

gabriel

Anna said:
gabriel...
First of all we'll assume your system is malware-free.

Have you tried running the sfc /scannow and/or the chkdsk /r commands?

Assuming those haven't resolved the problem, are you familiar with the XP OS
Repair process? This assumes you have an XP OS installation CD that's either
a non-branded OEM or retail version. In general, the so-called "recovery" or
"restore" type of CDs provided by many OEMs will not provide this Repair
install capability.
Anna
tried chkdsk /r : no results
tried sfc /scannow: no results
Repairing via install disk didn't work

what I did find out: logging in with another account (local
administrator) resulted in no problem so I think that the error lies
somewhere in my local profile....

Gerry

Gabriel

You were unwise to ignore my warning about the Explorer Shell Fix tool.
You may now have malware. The person involved with the site is a well
known troll.

Have a look in the System and Application logs in Event Viewer for
Errors and Warnings and post copies here. Don't post any more than 48
hours ago.

You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Control Panel,
Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer. When researching the meaning
of the error, information regarding Event ID, Source and Description
are important.

http://support.Microsoft.com/kb/308427/en-us

A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
click on the error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a
button resembling two pages. Click the button and close Event
Viewer.Now start your message (email) and do a paste into the body of
the message. Make sure this is the first paste after exiting from
Event Viewer.

Another possible line of enquiry.

Check Process Explorer and post details of the children of explorer.exe.
Tell us if you are aware of any that do not work properly.

Download Process Explorer.
For further information about Process Explorer see here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/SystemInformation/ProcessExplorer.mspx

Do not do this but have you changed any of the Services settings trying
to improve system performance?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

gabriel

Gerry said:
[...]

sorry, apparently I didn't understaand your first message was a warning
(I think my English is not that good). I check regularly Event Viewer
and found no strange entries. Also Process Explorer doesn't show any
strange entries. The malware you are referring to, is there a program
that can trace it or destroy it? my anti-virus progam didn't find
anything unusal.

Gerry

Gabriel

The web site you visited belongs to pcbutts, who recently has been
posting as the Real Truth MVP. He is not an MVP and has been challenged
by others to prove he is an MVP. He regularly impersonates others who
post to these newsgroups and as a result many are confused as to who is
posting what. This has been going on for over 4 years. He stands accused
of software piracy. It is possible that using his tools may cause minor
changes to your computer but I am not aware of them creating a serious
problem. However, he is mentally disturbed and one cannot predict what
he may do next.

Can you describe exactly what you are doing before Windows Explorer
hangs. What are the last two items you click on. Are they left or right
clicks?

What are your anti-virus and anti-spyware arrangements?

What is the CPU and how much RAM does the computer have? Right click on
the My Computer icon on ther Desktop and select Properties to get this
information.

Try Ctrl+Alt+Delete to select Task Manager and click the Performance
Tab. Under Commit Charge what is the Total, the Limit and the Peak?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leythos

You found my site by surfing the web. Did you find Gerry's site? of course
not he does not have one. Everything he said about me is a lie except the
fact that I used to post as The Real Truth, and you should ignore him. You
antivirus software did not detect my tools because they are NOT viruses.
Gerry proved himself a liar by saying that now he is has to pull his foot
out of his mouth because your scans where clean. Gerry cannot fix your
system I can. Since my Shell Fix did not work and because your last post you
gave a little more info I can fix it but for now I will let Gerry keep
guessing at a solution and I will email you instructions on how to fix it.

your time.

gabriel

gabriel said:
Hi,

all of a sudden (I never had this phenomenon before) the explorer hangs
when trying to delete a file or folder.

The solution I use is via Taskman.exe killing explorer.exe and starting
explorer.exe (strangely enough after that everything works well during
the logon session).

What can cause this problem and is there a solution other than to
reinstall the OS.
I already reinstalled SP3 without any result.

My configuration is as follows:
Windows XP Pro with SP3

If anyone could help me with this problem I would be most grateful.

gabriël

eventually I got the solution to my problem.
Thanks to everybody who helped me out.

Gerry

Gabriel

What was the solution? Explain and that may help others later with a
similar problem

--

Gerry
~~~~

Leythos

From: "Leythos" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Subject: Re: Windows XP Explorer hangs
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 17:10:42 -0700

The headers from the Usenet posts prove that the message was not posted
by myself, Leythos. The Usenet troll/unethical hack, PCBUTTS is posting
impersonating myself, proving all the bad things that this group has
posted about him and proving just how unethical he is.

You should avoid following any advice from impersonation based posts.

Complaint filed with (e-mail address removed)

Barry Schwarz

thanks, but I already tried it (found your site browsing the Internet
for this specific problem) with no results.
btw congratulations for the site

That was a forged post and not advice from Leythos. It would be
prudent to run a very thorough malware check on your system.

This not the MVP site despite its fake logos.

The correct MVP site is http://www.mvps.org/