Windows update issues...

Reaction score
Hi again guys hope your all doing ok, haven't been here for quite a few months now but I've been rushed off my feet. Got my A level results too and I'm going to Keele to do History and Politics :D. Chuffed. Had to go through clearing though, which was tedious and kind of nerve racking.

Anyways, I just did a fresh install of XP because ever since I did my last format I have been unable to download anything for some obscure reason, as every file became corrupted. That appears to have been rectified, however now I cannot install any windows/microsoft updates. I download them, it processes them and then tells me they weren't installed.

I have repeated the process a thousand times now, and the only solution I found (that didn't work) was to enable the Background Intelligence Transfer Service. I have also put the various sites in my trusted sites and have turned off all my firewall/av tools.

Ayn help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Try typing this in Run

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\wups2.dll

Since SP3 was released many people are having issues with this file unregistering.

Post in it worked please..... I got more solutions but this is the main cause at the moment.

Reaction score
JaLing said:
Try typing this in Run

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\wups2.dll

Since SP3 was released many people are having issues with this file unregistering.

Post in it worked please..... I got more solutions but this is the main cause at the moment.

You are solid gold my friend. I would like to frame you and put you on my wall.

Did it first time :thumb::D

Thankyou very much indeed.

Reaction score
Hi Potguy

Have you reactivated your product key since doing the fresh install..? Untill that is done you won't be able to perform any updates..Microsft will normally only allow for 2 online product key activations, after that you'll need to either speak to MS customer support..If your OS came as part of a bundle..ie. preinstalled on a machine, they will only allow for to activations of the product key..Anything after that you'll need to purchase a new licence..

Ask a Question