Windows XP Windows Media Player wont die!

Reaction score
For no reason Win Media Player will not work anymore on my DVD player (or at all on my computer and it cannot be totally, correctly removed once its corrupted...ever! I was told by the geeks on the MS website. It started when I installed a new Lite-On DVD RAM with Nero program. It worked great for a month or so, then just out of no where stopped working, just froze up and acted like I was out of memory, I think I received some update warnings and so updated accordingly (one of them was for media player I believe). I think I also did some other things with MP11, not sure. But after "touching" MP11 other programs for playing DVDs or just downloaded movies wouldnt work. They would almost start to play but freeze up, with partial images of media player and Nero player mixed together on the screen. It took a long time and $79 to even find out is was MP that was causing it. But even the computer techs could not uncorrupt MP11, nor could they uninstall it in order to reinstall a clean version. Does anyone know how I can re-install a clean workable WMP, of any version? Or even repair any version of MP? I do not want to totally delete the operating system which is what the computer repair people think i should do. Thanks,

my system
windows xp home ver.
adband HSdsl
motherboard----ASUS A7N266-VM
memory---1 GB
cpu---Athlon-XP 1700+
Audio-Geforce2 5.1 surr sound
video---nvidia GeFORCE2 GPU

Last edited:
Reaction score
You could always try a OS Repair install..This will repair all XP files including anything to do with WMP...Also try starting your computer in safe mode and delete WMP from there..HAve you done any virus scans..? Just seem a bit odd that something like WMP could be causing these problems...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah I also doubt that it's just WMP causing the problem. Have you installed any codec packs? They can cause headaches sometimes.

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
You could always try a OS Repair install..This will repair all XP files including anything to do with WMP...Also try starting your computer in safe mode and delete WMP from there..HAve you done any virus scans..? Just seem a bit odd that something like WMP could be causing these problems...

["sometimes nothin's a pretty cool hand" Paul Newman-Cool Hand Luke]

I have heard about doing an OS repair install a lot, but not sure how its done. Somebody mentioned setting up my BIOS (which is a fast way to get me to permanently ruin any computer) to start-up on the CD-ROM with Windows XP in it, and then follow a few instructions and that would do it. Is there a way to do a repair install of the OS wihtout playing around in the BIOS? If I really have to though, I'll go ahead into the BIOS setup; if I have a set of instructions on what to do in there to make the CDrom the boot-up device.

Reaction score
Yes, I do now have a couple or three codec programs I downloaded, cause the same computer wiz at the place the "repaired" and sold my computer said it was a great idea to do to get around the WMPlayer 11 problem. I called about two other repair stores here in SLC, UT and they also said that WMP-11 "causes massive problems all the time, its very common" and I agreed with what you said Ian and told them that sounded way too ridiculous to me and I have since joined forums, asked everybody on the internet that I know....it shouldnt be this big of a problem....yet, it remains that I cant do nothin' (now the new CD rom doesnt even burn anthing) since the Media Player messed up, and maybe that is just a coincidence and I have a cursed CD rom, I am stumped.

Reaction score
I may be confusing free download codec packs with free DVD players and burner programs (trial versions).
I have Power DVD which is supposed to be great, and I own the CD of it; I have Nero 7 essentials too; these dont help because I really think me new ATAPI DVD Model: A DH20A4P DVD RAM is a pile of junk, thats what I am starting to think....Thanks for the help folks, if you know of this unit as being a bad one, please let me know (I saw it going for bid on ebay or somehting for $0.99! New in the box. (I paid $59.95) from the guys who say Media Player will someday destroy and take over the world because it is so so impossible to deal with.

Reaction score
So I threw the compueter out basically--if you ever have a corrupt windows media player 11; you're done for mates!!

Ask a Question