Windows 7 Default DVD Movie Player

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'll ask here before searching just in case anybody has an answer.

In Win 7 if I load a DVD movie a Window pops up giving me options for playback. At current only Nero Showtime and Windows Media player are listed (I haven't installed Winamp yet).

There's also a link to the Autoplay options in Control panel and within that there are more options listed but not the one I want to use - Windows Media Centre.

My question is does anybody have any idea how I can make Media Centre the default player for DVD movies? I can open a DVD movie within Media Centre ok btw.

I like the Media Centre and that's the main reason I used my old copy of Vista for my media machine rather than stay with XP. Vista may be a one-legged sprinter but it does have Media Centre, imo one of it's few redeeming features ;)

And I'm not really bothered about this but out of interest it's worth mentioning that I have to reboot to enable sound if I play a DVD movie in Windows Media Player (sound works fine within Media Centre). Odd :confused:

Anybody any ideas? (System shown in signature).

Reaction score
Ive no idea mate I just use WMP to play mine tbh

Not got Media centre installed

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've just recalled that in Vista when a DVD is inserted it starts to play automatically within Media Centre. I like that.

Vista has a Quick launch facility as well whereas there's none in Win 7.

Blimey. Two things better in Vista than in Win 7 :eek:

In my opinion ;)

And before anybody points out that Quick launch can be added to Win 7, tried that, it disappears after the second or third boot, absolutely useless.

Add to that no sound in Media Player for movies and Win 7 is not turning out to be entirely the saviour we thought it may be.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Flopps - someone HERE sounds as if they are encountering a similar problem. The answer they were given leads to HERE. Don't know whether that will help, just giving it a shot :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Nice one TC :) :thumb:

I shall give that a bash when I fire up the Win 7 machine later today.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That done the trick TC :)

Media Centre is now included in the list where you can choose a default player, I have selected it for all video files and when I pop in a DVD now it opens in Media Centre.

And it's the same for all audio files with Winamp.

Excellent.

Ask a Question