Windows XP Windows Defender and OneCare conflict

Reaction score
I have Windows Live OneCare and Windows Defender installed on this computer. Everyday around 8am and 2pm, Windows Defender disables itself, and shuts down my real-time protection. I have to click on Start, All Programs and then click on WinDef. When I do this, I get a box that says this program has been disabled. There is a blue link that you click to re-enable it. Like I said, this happens to me twice a day. If I restart my computer with Windows Defender enabled, I get an error message upon startup with an error code, "0x800106ba." I've done some research on this error code, and I've done some trial and error troubleshooting of my own. Re-registering certain DLL files, going to Run, typing cmd, and then Net start windefend ...none of these worked for me...I can't really say that to all of them. The one where I had to re-register my DLL files, I couldn't finish. It asked me to uninstall Windows Defender, re-register the associated DLL files I guess, and then re-download defender. I did all of that, and I got stuck because it said I have OneCare installed, and it asked me to remove that program before proceeding. When I had OneCare beta, it asked me to download Windows Defender beta in order to get spyware protection. Did they implement spyware protection in OneCare now? Is that what's causing the conflict?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Could well be a clash - but you need to be aware that in recent tests OneCare came out very poorly for detection - personally I would bin it and either use Kaspersky or NOD32 if paying, or Antivir for free - all of which work fine with Windows Defender :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry, but OneCare is a heap of junk ... not just my opinion ... any "protection" it may offer is a non starter.

How important is your Data ?

OK, what I see is you had the Beta version installed, as far as I can remember, it was advised by MS to uninstall this Beta before installing the other crap version ... however, you will find that, as you have, the un-installer left traces of the "old" version in your registry and therefore thinks you have it already.

This is nothing new, Windows, and other un-installers, ain't that good at doing their job. I suggest un-installing both OneCare & Defender and attempt to "clean-up" the registry of any debary left over ... CrapCleaner may help.

I'm with Ady on this one ... :thumb:

Reaction score
It is because windows defender is a free tool for all XP SP2 or higher at all time and the One Care has this tool already inside, so One care disables windows defender because it already runs in One care... After the trailversion (of one Care) you are back to only defender or if you purchase one care you can remove defender.....

I know, because i had the same problem... I have personally not removed defender, but it stands on the side line... i have defender removed from the start up folder and the errormessages en warnings are gone.

Hope it works also for you..

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks Ishaaq, and welcome to the foums
happywave.gif

You could well be right, so thanks for that, all I would add is that Windows OneCare comes out very badly in independent anti-virus tests, so if folks care for their computers then I would advise against using it and install something better.

Microsoft's OneCare Finishes Last in Antivirus Tests :thumb:

Reaction score
A few tips please

Okay, a few updates for you guys. Thank you for your help first of all. I uninstalled OneCare, and Windows Defender. I downloaded the free 30 day trial for Kaspersky Anti-Virus (6.0.2.614)...did a full scan on my computer, and it didn't find a single thing. However, I have two questions. Since I uninstalled OneCare and Defender, I am left wide open for spyware, and firewall attacks. Any suggestions on anti-spyware programs or firewalls to install? Thanks once again for your time.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Well you could have downloaded the Kaspersky Internet Security trial instead which has a firewall and some spyware protection - you could also use the built in Windows one also, other free ones available are Kerio or Zone Alarm.

For adware/spyware protecton use Adaware SE Personal, Spybot Search&Destroy, SpywareBlaster and Windows Defender all together and all free.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
garris99 said:
Okay, a few updates for you guys. Thank you for your help first of all. I uninstalled OneCare, and Windows Defender. I downloaded the free 30 day trial for Kaspersky Anti-Virus (6.0.2.614)...did a full scan on my computer, and it didn't find a single thing. However, I have two questions. Since I uninstalled OneCare and Defender, I am left wide open for spyware, and firewall attacks. Any suggestions on anti-spyware programs or firewalls to install? Thanks once again for your time.
Well, you missed a trick, but easy to rectify ... KIS

Kaspersky Internet Security also has "protection" for ...

Integrated protection from all Internet threats
Cutting-edge antivirus technologies
Personal firewall
Protection from spam and phishing
Instant database updates
Free technical support

Real-time monitoring of all data streams, including email, Internet traffic and network connections
Protection from viruses, Trojans and worms
Protection from spyware, adware and other potentially hostile programs
Proactive defense against new malicious programs
Protection from network attacks and system hijacking
Blocking of popup windows and banners
Rollback of changes made by malicious programs on your computer
Blocking of links to phishing websites
Trainable spam filtration system
Support for Windows Vista™ and 64-bit systems
... yep, an all-in-one solution ... :thumb:

Now, a lot of people are suspect of an all-in-one solutions thinking that they will slow your PC to a crawl and don't do as good a job as individual programs ... while this is true with certain competitors, I am really confident that KIS has the mix just right, and I don't see any slowdown on my PC.
nod.gif

My personal opinion is, give it a tryout. :thumb:

If you would rather go the multi-program route then I can suggest, in conjunction with an AV & Firewall, the following ...
Windows Defender (yep, I use it :D )
SpybotSearch&Destroy
SpySweeper
SpywareBlaster (this is a must have program on any PC)

There are others that have had good feedback, such as SUPERAntiSpyware & Ad-aware. SAS is getting a good reputation, but the makers of that program used to be on the other side of the fence, not good in my book, but they have come a long way since those days ... use a thief to catch a thief ? ;)

I have tried them all, but what do I use ?

On my Vista box I use ...
KIS
SpywareBlaster
Windows Defender
IE7 / Firefox
Windows Mail

On XP I use ...
KAV
SBS&D
SpywareBlaster
Windows Defender
Firefox (no, I don't use IE on XP except to get MS updates)
Thunderbird email client

On Linux I use ...
Firefox
Thunderbird email client
no need for any AV or any other "security" as Linux cannot suffer a Windows Virus. ;)

HTH

user.gif

Ask a Question