"Windows could not load the installer for Display."

Reaction score
I got a new NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 PCI graphics card from a friend for my birthday. I've spent quite a bit of the last few days trying to get it to work-- I've talked with countless CompUSA, Compaq, Intel, and NVIDIA people but none have been very helpful.

My goal at the moment is to uninstall my old "Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GC Graphics Controller" which is an integrated graphics card. It won't let me uninstall it from the device manager or from the Add/Remove section; I keep getting the "Window could not load uninstaller for Display. Constact Hardware vendor for assistance." When I simply disable it, put in the new card, and go to device manager, the only card being displayed in the "display adapters" section is the New Card, but IT'S been disabled. According to instructions, both the Intel and the new card should be showing up. It somehow seems that they are combining, both trying to be the dominant card. When I run video tests, though, it tells me that I have absolutely no video card at all.

Things I've tried that are still not working: I've updated my BIOS and there's still no option to switch from the Onboard card to the new one. Doing that switch has been on all the instructions.

My computer's a Compaq Prisario S5300NX.

What should I do now to ultimately get the new video card to work?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have you try this? Diable the plug and play in the BIOS setup. Then add your card and install the driver from the disk coming with your PCI card. Good luck.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
What PCI slot are you trying to use ... you must use PCI slot one.

There sould be no need to disable on-board crap.

You do know HP/Comcrap cannot make a PC to save their lives. ;)

Reaction score
my hp came with a geforce 4, but i had to disable that even after i took it out

Ask a Question