Windows 7 Windows 7

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I have just finished reformatting my laptop with W7 Ultimate 64bit as it seemed to be running a bit slugish lately.
Once I had done the install and updates I noticed a folder called WindowsESD. I've had a little look around and everything points to Windows 8 ?? So I am a bit confused. What is this folder doing in Windows 7 ? Can this folder be deleted ?

local-1.png

Then the second thing I noticed in Computer Management > Disk Management was DISK 0 Has a partition 199 MB in size, where as on my other laptop itjust shows a 12MB unalocated space. Is this because one is a dynamic drive and the other laptop is only a basic drive ?

199.png

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Electronic software distribution. I googled windows 7 esd after update. Several links there talking about methods used to distribute Windows. Basically, you download software as an update/executable.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/windows-7-64-bit-x64-direct-download-links/

I didn't read the entire article. Mainly because I am a bit lazy right now. But from the skim over that I did do, my best guess is that it has to do with a new way Windows 7will be updating. Since 8 is due out soon, I imagine that they will standardize the update process for all platforms.

You clued me into something I now have to pay attention for on my servers. Got to do some checks in the morning.

Last edited:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Ok so after reading your link I think I have figured it out. I had a shop do an upgrade for me from Home Premium to Ultimate. They have gone for the online upgrade. And the folder WIndow ESD would be all the files from that. Once the upgrade was done they have created a disk image for me, thats how I was able to reformat. And from what I can see, its best not to delete said folder

Reaction score
The partition called "System" is created by Windows Vista & Windows 7 during the installation process, and it's where they store the data needed by the boot process ( to boot into Windows ).
Do not mess with it, it is absolutely normal to be there :)

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I had a shop do an upgrade for me from Home Premium to Ultimate

That sounds about right. They would probably do that in the event that you did not purchase the physical medium. They used their bulk license for the software.

Ask a Question