Windows 7 Windows 7 problems

Reaction score
Hi,
I have recently bought a new computer with windows7 professional installed and I am not happy , I will list individual problems in a seperate post but my question here is " can i put my old hard drive from my xp computer into my new computer and would it work alongside the drive with windows 7 on it?"

p.s. how do i type my system details as my signature? I have tried in control panel but it just asks for url or place on computer.

This is my system:
quad core 8300
8gb ram
1tb hard drive
windows 7 prof 64 bit.
Thanks.

Andy

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
a1jonuk said:
Hi,
I have recently bought a new computer with windows7 professional installed and I am not happy , I will list individual problems in a seperate post but my question here is " can i put my old hard drive from my xp computer into my new computer and would it work alongside the drive with windows 7 on it?"

Yes you can.

Assuming it's a SATA drive you don't have to worry about jumper settings, as you did with PATA/IDE drives.

It would be a good idea to transfer any data you want to keep from the old drive (Explorer favourites perhaps?) to your new drive then format your old drive to NTSC from Control Panel/Admin/Disk Management

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
a1jonuk said:
can i put my old hard drive from my xp computer into my new computer and would it work alongside the drive with windows 7 on it?
Only to use your old Docs etc, If your thinking of booting from the XP drive in the new machine it will not work. You would have to reinstall XP.

Would love to know what you dont like about Win7, i went from XP to 7 and love it. :cool:

I get to fix my girlfriends vista lappy regularly and i really dont like it lol. :)

Welcome.
happywave.gif

Reaction score
Hi and thanks to V_R and floppybooystomp for replies.
I was hoping I could have had the old hard drive installed and then used that operating system (xp) alongside 7.
Is it because the xp operating system can only be installed on 1 machine?
I have read somewhere of people who have 2 hard drives and 2 operating systems and you just choose which one to use at bootup.

V_R - The reasons I don,t like windows 7 at the moment is the number of things that won,t work with it,I list some below:
My banking website.
My HP Ipaq handheld ( need this for business)
My Sony Clie handheld (a backup for the HP one)
Cannot get onto microsoft .com or co.uk
Games (mainly my wifes games-her favourite shanghai 2 dragons den-she is not happy)
Microsoft activesync.
Outlook 2002
Vodafone pc assistant-cannot download pictures off phone.
There are many other things too ,too many to list.

Andy

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You can have XP and Win 7 on one system as a dual boot setup using just the one hard disk or you could put Win 7 on your new disk but they'd share the same boot manager on the primary disk.

To do this you'd have to:

1) Take your new disk out
2) Put the disk with XP back in
3) Make sure the system is booting into XP ok
4) Put the new disk in as a secondary drive and format it within XP
5) Load Win 7 to the new disk alongside XP

I think Windows will advise you during the process but I'm not sure, I've never done XP and 7 but I've done most other combinations without problems.

I'm surprised you're having all those problems with Win 7 as from what I can see, most should work but probably not the game. You can change the compatibility mode for the game to XP within Win 7, perhaps you could try that.

I have Outlook 2003 working in Win 7, not sure about Outlook 2002.

If you do go for a dual boot system you may have to activate Win 7 over the phone as you only recently installed it, Microsoft are a bit crap in that respect. It's a bit of a bother but not a problem.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've just read in your other help thread that your Win 7 Operating System is on a new machine.

When I gave the advice above I had assumed that both hard disks (Win 7 and XP) came from the same machine.

This is important: If the two disks came from different machines the disk with XP on WILL NOT WORK IN YOUR NEW MACHINE.

Coupla questions before we go any further:

1) Do you have a full version of Win XP on disk with valid licence/code number?

2) Do you have a full version of Win 7 on disk with valid licence/code number?

If you don't have both of those then it presents problems.

Who did you buy your new machine from?

I'm very surprised at all the problems you're having with Win 7 and am tempted to suspect the system may be corrupted or there's a virus/malware present.

The greater majority of folk I'm aware of who've used Win 7 report no problems, myself included.

Reaction score
Hi floppybootstomp and feckit.

I,m afraid I don,t have an xp disc or a windows 7 disc.
The xp machine is a compaq and came from pcworld about 5 years or more ago ,it came with xp installed but no seperate disc that i can remember.
We have just purchased the windows 7 machine from dell and that came installed as well but i do have a disc labeled "reinstallation dvd windows 7 professional 64bit" that came with it.
Andy

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
a1jonuk said:
V_R - The reasons I don,t like windows 7 at the moment is the number of things that won,t work with it,I list some below:
My banking website.
My HP Ipaq handheld ( need this for business)
My Sony Clie handheld (a backup for the HP one)
Cannot get onto microsoft .com or co.uk
Games (mainly my wifes games-her favourite shanghai 2 dragons den-she is not happy)
Microsoft activesync.
Outlook 2002
Vodafone pc assistant-cannot download pictures off phone.
Hmmm, well i'd bet that the issues your have regarding browsing is related to your Web browser rather than win7. IE8 per chance? MS sites work fine here.

Fair play to the Ipaq, tried asking your IT dept if they can do anything for you?

MS Active Sync....
ActiveSync is only compatible with Windows XP or earlier. If you run Windows Vista or Windows 7, download
Windows Mobile Device Center.
I understand you cant get on the MS site so that is what it says for you.

Im a big gamer, and have had no issues on win 7 other than Call of Duty 2 not installing by default on 7. You may need to try this....

When you trying to install the games, browse the disk and fine the setup.exe. Right click it and try running it in XP or Vista mode.

Ah hold on, you mean Dragons Eye? T'was released in '89!? lol. Theres probably a website that you can play it on now. :D

Can you do me a favour?

Download and install Firefox (An alternative web browser) see if you can get on the sites you have issues with with that. :)

Reaction score
Well , I downloaded firefox (never used it before) and microsoft.com and .co.uk loaded.

Unfortunately my banking website login page still does not load.

As mentioned in my other post , If i use the proxy site ? ninjacloak.com i can access all the sites but even though i can get onto the login page for my bank through it i won,t enter bank login details as i don,t know if it,s safe.

Thanks

Andy

Reaction score
Update.
Straight after installing firefox the microsoft sited loaded ok but .. after closing the browser and then opening it I have exactly the same problem in firefox now, it will not access microsoft.com etc.
Please see my other post " can,t access microsoft.com for further details.

Andy

Reaction score
UPDATE.

a1jonuk said:
Hi and thanks to V_R and floppybooystomp for replies.
I was hoping I could have had the old hard drive installed and then used that operating system (xp) alongside 7.
Is it because the xp operating system can only be installed on 1 machine?
I have read somewhere of people who have 2 hard drives and 2 operating systems and you just choose which one to use at bootup.

My banking website. - I can now access this site.
My HP Ipaq handheld ( need this for business) - Downloaded Windows Mobile Device Centre
My Sony Clie handheld (a backup for the HP one) - Reundant I,m afraid
Cannot get onto microsoft .com or co.uk - I can now access these sites
Games (mainly my wifes games-her favourite shanghai 2 dragons den-she is not happy) - Wifes still unhappy
Microsoft activesync.Replaced with Windows Mobile Device Centre
Outlook 2002 - Redundant - Ordered Outlook 2007
Vodafone pc assistant-cannot download pictures off phone.-Ordered micro sd card for phone and will transfer pictures via computers card reader.

Andy

So I,m slowly ironing out the problems and hopefully will get to like Windows 7.

Ask a Question