Windows 7 Windows 7 boot screen

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I've never seen the point myself, you only see it for a few seconds. Even less if your windows install is on an SSD like mine. :)

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
it's for some custom manufacturing. I have found a couple tools that claim to do it. Haven't tried them...yet. This is the same story I heard with modifying the XP screen. "you have to use XXX program to do it." not true. Simple change of image resolution and copy over a file. I assume our friends as MS have made this a bit more difficult but I am positive someone will find it.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
maybe in this situation, the question should be: what is the file that the boot loader uses as the animation?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
After a quick google, it seems it is not easy to do in 7, if at all...

The reasons for this should be pretty clear, which is that we cannot guarantee the security of the system to allow for arbitrary elements to be loaded into memory at boot time. In the early stages of starting Windows, the system needs to be locked down and execute along a very carefully monitored and known state, as tools such as firewalls and anti-virus checking are not yet available to secure the system. And, of course, even though we’re sure everyone would follow the requirements around image size, content, etc. due to performance, we would not want to build in all the code necessary to guarantee that all third parties would be doing so
Link

So considering that is a pig to do and you only see it for a matter of seconds when you start the machine, i have to ask, why bother? :/

If you want to customize it, why not change the logon screen? At least this will actually be seen for longer than a matter of seconds..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
And some Asus boards have the facility to load a picture into the Bios to appear at POST, I have The Tasmanian Devil 'Taz' showing on boot in my media machine.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
It is for developing machines for retail sale. Modifying the OS for a specific use and end user is something that we do. I place units on high end yachts and for display to upscale customers, so it is important that we present a uniformed view. This allows us to customize the system both while the systems are booting and once within Windows itself.

When i get the process down to a science, I will post the resolution here.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
images acquired, Certificate extracted now it's time to attempt the reassembly. I may even have to register my own certificate to get it to work properly. A little bit more hammering on the issue....

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
so far....no real progress. I have been able to rip apart everything and package it back together, but tests fail. However, I think the downfall right now is the certificate. Not so certain that it matters THAT much....personal or commercial. We will see where it takes us.

Just as in XP, you "have to" modify all sorts of stuff relating to the kernel to get it to work. When in reality all you have to do is /noguiboot /bootlogo the boot.ini and drop a properly configured .bmp into the Windows folder.

I am positive that over time, it will be worked out.

Reaction score
Silverhazesurfer said:
Looking to modify the 7 boot screen. Anyone had any success at this yet?

you should install pc tuneup utilities for change your boot screen and logon screen.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
what is the real reason of booting of PC?

I have yet to see a replacement for XP Embedded. I am moving my software platform to Win 7 and would like to change the boot animation to something a little more appropriate to my product.

I believe the end result is i need a certificate to put on the file. I have just been slacking on this project due to others around the "house."

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
For anyone curious of the details, here is what I found out. I am fairly certain of all information, as I tried this a while ago and have yet to be able to complete it properly. I am posting my results in hopes that others may be able to accomplish what I have been unable to do at this time.

The file that loads the Windows 7 animation is called bootres.dll. This dll is signed by Microsoft so that the system knows it is a proper file. The digital signature, as Microsoft puts it, is necessary to ensure that the system does not get hijacked at the most sensative point of the OS loading, right before major code execution. The system loads bootres.dll and then begins its OS loading.

I used Resource Hacker to tear the file apart. The files are as follows:

1[Folder] - This folder holds the bmp required for modification.
1.xml
CERTIFICATE
Data_1.bin
RCData_1.bin
win7test.rc

The bmp is 200x21000 pixels. It can be opened in your choice of photo editors that can read bmp files.

I have been able to build a successful bmp image but unsuccessful at building a properly signed DLL file. I have been able to rebuild the DLL, but without the certificate, Windows 7 reverts to the Vista loading worm that occurs when the bootres.dll file is corrupted.

I anticipate that if someone were to acquire a legitimate certificate, the system could load properly. However, this is all theory up to this point. I don't think anyone has built a proper file.

Just my two cents. Happy Hacking.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
A year later and your still trying? 10/10 for effort. :D

But i stand by what i said in post #5.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Haven't really touched it since then. Wasn't a top priority. Now that XP OEM builders are done, it's time for 7 implementation. I will be visiting it soon. I have to research this certificate thing. If it is possible and, if so, how to get it done.

I just saw the files and have seen the thread from time to time and figured I would update what I have. If for nothing else but myself.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Evan,

You da man! <insert Arsenio Hall-esque hooting>

I did a little reading on it when I saw your post. I thought I had posted back about looking into it, i guess either I didn't or there was some other issue.

Either way, I have my Win 7 tester back up on my desk and since we plan to migrate the Win 7 network in the office, I need to brush up on the ins and outs of the OS for the users. I loaded this app onto the machine and from the little bit of tinkering I have seen thus far, it looks promising. I will post every bit that I can with regard to using the app. Hopefully with pics. For some reason I have not been successful at posting a pic yet but I will find a way to do it.

I am striving to have an animation by the end of the day tomorrow or the next. I still have the other files from the ripped boot animation I did a year ago. Perhaps I will have one with the phases of the moon to start. I am kind of excited right now.

http://www.coderforlife.com/projects/win7boot/

Last edited:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Success!!!

There has been applied a boot animation to my Windows 7 Professional test system.

Windows 7 Forums discussion on the topic for those interested in the technicals: http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/106861-how-change-boot-animation-windows-7-a.html

Available boot skins: http://www.coderforlife.com/projects/win7boot/bootskins/
(got my tester from here) http://www.deskmodder.de/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=220&t=13363
http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=windows+7+boot

I have created my own .bmp file for animation and will test that next to see if I did that part right. I hope to get some pics by the next few hours.

Last edited:

Ask a Question