Win2k Server Workgroup

Taylor

The server has shares on it and all the computers are on the same workgroup.
You cannot access the shares via network places (network neighborhood). You
can access the shares if you type the path in an explorer window or if you
have shortcuts to the shared folders. This is a recent problem that came out
of nowhere. Even the server cannot access the shares via network places.
When you click on the workgroup, it says that it is not accessible, the
network path can not be found.

Steven Liu [MSFT]

Hi Taylor,

Please make sure you have only enabled one Browser service on the most
powerful computer which is installed with the latest version Windows.

Enable the NetBios over TCP/IP on each computer.

Make sure the computer with the Browser service enabled only has one
network card installed.

Thanks for using Microsoft News Group!

Sincerely,

Steven Liu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

MCSE 2000

This posting is provided ¡°as is¡± with no warranties and confers no rights.
--------------------
| From: "Taylor" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Win2k Server Workgroup
| Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 14:59:04 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
|
| The server has shares on it and all the computers are on the same
workgroup.
| You cannot access the shares via network places (network neighborhood).
You
| can access the shares if you type the path in an explorer window or if you
| have shortcuts to the shared folders. This is a recent problem that came
out
| of nowhere. Even the server cannot access the shares via network places.
| When you click on the workgroup, it says that it is not accessible, the
| network path can not be found.

Steven Liu [MSFT]

Hi Taylor,

Please make sure there only has one network card installed on the Windows
2000 server. Then, enable the Browser service on the Windows 2000 server.

Disable the Browser service of all other computers.

If it's possible, let's install the IPX/SPX protocol on all computers. This
also will help to do the computer name resolution.

Thanks for using Microsoft News Group!

Sincerely,

Steven Liu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

MCSE 2000

This posting is provided ¡°as is¡± with no warranties and confers no rights.
--------------------
| From: "Taylor" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Win2k Server Workgroup
| Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 17:31:52 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
|
| The Server is Windows 2000 Server.
| This is a workgroup.
| Not all the client computers have shares, but some do. If you know what
path
| you want to reach you can type it in but you cant browse via Network
Places.

| NetBios over TCP/IP is enabled and the client computers are setup to use
the
| NetBios settings of the DHCP server. The DHCP server is the Windows 2000
| Server.
|

| Thanks for the feedback. Got any more?

| --------------------
| | Hi Taylor,
| Please make sure you have only enabled one Browser service on the most
| powerful computer which is installed with the latest version Windows.
Enable
| the NetBios over TCP/IP on each computer. Make sure the computer with the
| Browser service enabled only has one network card installed. Thanks for
| using Microsoft News Group!
| > Sincerely,
| > Steven Liu
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| > MCSE 2000

Taylor

The problem seemed to have fixed itself.
I guess the internal DNS was confused and sorted itself out after a couple
of days.

Thanks for the help.