Windows XP Win XP Home, USB Auto Play no longer works

Reaction score
I have a problem that just started happening - when I plug in a USB travel drive, it no longer opens a box asking what action to take. I want it to open a folder with a list of the files on the drive. It always used to open this "what action" box. In an attempt to fix this I tried opening My Computer, right clicking on the travel drive device and selecting properties, clicking the auto play tab and saw that it is checked to ask me what action to perform. BUT IT WILL NOT WORK CORRECTLY anymore. What can casue this action to stop or be over ridden? I am using Win XP Home all updates installed.

Reaction score
The tweak SW seems to be the reverse of what I am looking for - I WANT the question to be asked each and every time the USB Travel Drive is plugged in. It used to do that and now has stopped and after the USB drive is plugged in nothing shows up or even indicates the drive is there and ready to use. BUT if you open a Win explorer it is there. Problem is that some users on this PC do not know the steps required to open the Win explorer, let alone where to find the drive since it assigns the drive letter each time you plug it in. It is true I know how to find it and it is not a problem for me, but other users now do not know what to do.

Ask a Question