Win Me - Win 2000

G

Just wondering. If the upgrade from WIn Me to Win 2000 Pro is not supported why did it work so well when I ran the upgrade? Is it possible to upgrade, just not supported by Micorsoft Support

Thanks
BV

D

dcdon

You may or may not ever have any problems, but when hotpatches and SP's are made available ,
M$ does it under the auspices of compatibility. So, see you won't really know until
something happens. You might consider doing an inplace upgrade now, and that may get you
closer.

If you do want to do that, change your BIOS first boot device to CD-ROM, place you W2K CD in
the tray and restart. If you CD-ROM is bootable you will be prompted to enter setup asking
if you choose "repair" or install, choose install. Go through all of the install prompts
until you come to the last choice to do a Repair. Choose to repair, go through the process.
You will need your proper CD Key. After you get through, that's about as close as you can
come to a Clean Install. Go back and reset your BIOS to Floppy.

--
Happy Holidays,
don
---

Just wondering. If the upgrade from WIn Me to Win 2000 Pro is not supported why did it work
so well when I ran the upgrade? Is it possible to upgrade, just not supported by Micorsoft
Support?

Thanks,
BV

S

Shredder

Yes, the upgrade does work, but be wary of trouble down
the road. I've done several of these and each one gave me
headaches (and call-backs) months later. If I were you,
I'd just save the important stuff (Data files, pst's,
favorites and the others) on a removable drive, the do a
clean install of W2K.. This way you will be certain of a
rock-solid install and won't have to mess with it again.
GL!
-----Original Message-----
Just wondering. If the upgrade from WIn Me to Win 2000
Pro is not supported why did it work so well when I ran
the upgrade? Is it possible to upgrade, just not supported
by Micorsoft Support?

G

Thanks for the info. I could do a new clean install but here's the rub. I orginally upgraded from Win ME to Win 2K on another PC then moved the drive to the PC it's in now. The new PC is my old server, Proliant ML 330e. Would you believe that Compaq doesn't supply CD Rom drivers for the ML330e for O/S's other than server O/S's. Since this is 2K Pro there are no CD Rom drivers. What a pain.

I'll get by for now until I refurb my entire compnay with new PC's. Currently most are 98 and Me. I needed 2K for Crystal Reports.

Thanks,
Bill V

J

John John

How well did it really work? After you upgraded you were posting here
with boot.ini problems. As the others have said you may find yourself
down the road with a pile of headaches because of this upgrade.

John

Ask a Question