Win 7 questions?

infodex

I don't see a Windows 7 newsgroup anywhere. Can I ask Win 7 questions
here? If not, can someone point me to the appropriate group?

DE

Gene E. Bloch

alt.windows7.general

It's fairly new (I think), so the OP might have to refresh his newsgroup
index or list.

This NG does have some traffic, although it's no longer hosted by MS.
And as proved by your response and mine, one can ask for advice here
with some hope of a reply :)

infodex

It's fairly new (I think), so the OP might have to refresh his newsgroup
index or list.

FWIW, a refresh still doesn't show it. No big deal and thanks for the
pointer.

DE

Ken Springer

FWIW, a refresh still doesn't show it. No big deal and thanks for the
pointer.

Maybe the newsgroup isn't being carried. I read it using news.aioe.org

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.8.5
Firefox 24.0
Thunderbird 17.0.8
LibreOffice 4.1.2.3

Gene E. Bloch

Maybe the newsgroup isn't being carried. I read it using news.aioe.org

I'm using news.individual.net, but I have also seen it on Albasani.

But if memory serves me right, Albasani might be gone. The site owner
died, but I don't know the sites current status. My account is expired,
so I won't check.

http://www.albasani.net/ is still up. It says (in 2012) that Alexander
Bartolich "ist verstorben", but they want to continue with the server.

Ken Springer

Odd. So am I, but I don't see it.

Wondering... Do you have any other newsgroup software other than Forte
Agent? If yes, use it and see if you see the newsgroup. If yes, I'd
look at Forte Agent as being the problem somehow.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.8.5
Firefox 24.0
Thunderbird 17.0.8
LibreOffice 4.1.2.3

Tim Slattery

Wondering... Do you have any other newsgroup software other than Forte
Agent? If yes, use it and see if you see the newsgroup. If yes, I'd
look at Forte Agent as being the problem somehow.

I'm dubious about that. I have no trouble with alt.windows7.general
using Agent with eternal-september.

Gene E. Bloch

Odd. So am I, but I don't see it.

I used the word "refresh", but my newsreader actually calls it "Update
grouplists". Maybe we were miscommunicating before...

This reader also lets me apply filters to a newsgroup list, so that I
might not see all the groups in the list, if I accidentally have a
filter set.

infodex

I used the word "refresh", but my newsreader actually calls it "Update
grouplists". Maybe we were miscommunicating before...

No, that's what Forte has. I press update, it asks from what news
provider, I select new.individul.net. It blinks then comes back but
still no windows 7 group. If it's failing to refresh, it's not telling
me so.

Gene E. Bloch

No, that's what Forte has. I press update, it asks from what news
provider, I select new.individul.net. It blinks then comes back but
still no windows 7 group. If it's failing to refresh, it's not telling
me so.

OK, I agree with what you've done, and we are now left with a mystery
:-(

You might do well to use a different news provider just for the one
newsgroup - IMO, that's not a major PITA. I used to use a couple of
providers with a setting to combine their results in a single pane[1],
since at the time both were losing a few posts. Luckily, their omissions
didn't overlap much, so I got to see almost all of the newsgroup posts.

[1] IIRC, at the time I was using MesNews. Not sure all readers have
that capability.

Ken Springer

I'm dubious about that. I have no trouble with alt.windows7.general
using Agent with eternal-september.

May or may not work. Just something to try as a troubleshooting step. <G>

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.8.5
Firefox 24.0