Win 3.1

Guido

Jerry said:
Is there a location where I can download
Win 3.1

I recently bought a Compaq Contura Aero
4/25. It does not have a CD Rom so I need to download to Floppies.

It has MS-Dos on it and it is partitioned with a K directory. I am pretty
sure it had
win 3.1 on it but the program has been deleted or destroyed.

Thanks in advance for any help that is given.

Jerry
I realise this doesn't answer your question (partly because downloading
Win 3.1 without paying is very likely illegal), but why not use a small
distro of linux? I've heard of some that run very, very well on a 386
and some probably run on slower systems. Just a thought.

Bill Turner

Jerry said:
Is there a location where I can download
Win 3.1

Might find some copies in your local landfill. Better there than in
your computer.

Richard Steinfeld

Jerry said:
Is there a location where I can download
Win 3.1

I recently bought a Compaq Contura Aero
4/25. It does not have a CD Rom so I need to download to Floppies.

It has MS-Dos on it and it is partitioned with a K directory. I am pretty
sure it had
win 3.1 on it but the program has been deleted or destroyed.

I doubt very much that there's anyplace where you can download any MS
product regardless of age -- after all, it's all copyrighted. However,
you should be able to buy a copy for a pittance from a used software
store, shopping newspaper, etc. I recommend also buying a set of DOS disks.

The final version of straight DOS-based Windows was Windows 3.11; the
companion DOS was DOS 6 (.l1, if I recall correctly). This way, you'll
be able to reload everything, do clean OS installs, etc. Even better
yet, you'll be able to run great old software like PC-Write and the epic
word processing/publication package: XyWrite. And you'll be able to use
the good old Norton Utilities, as crafted by Peter Norton himself (with
some help): good, solid, great utility software -- the ease of
maintaining a DOS system like this brings tears to my eyes (I'm sobbing
all over my keyboard as I type). You'll be able to write and debug
batchfiles (oh, boo hoo, wail).

Richard (sniffle, sob).

Diablo

Nope Bill is greedy that way...it is still his property even if he chooses
not to support it...I have seen copies being given away on our local
Freecycle group within the last week, but that is probably a fluke...You
never know though, and it might behoove you to see if there is a local
Freecycle group in your area (
http://www.freecycle.org/display.php?region=International ) and post asking
if anyone has one they would like to give you...Likely if there is a group
near you, there is someone willing to give you a set of floppies.

| | > Jerry wrote:
| >> Is there a location where I can download
| >> Win 3.1
| >>
| >> I recently bought a Compaq Contura Aero
| >> 4/25. It does not have a CD Rom so I need to download to Floppies.
| >>
| >> It has MS-Dos on it and it is partitioned with a K directory. I am
| >> pretty sure it had
| >> win 3.1 on it but the program has been deleted or destroyed.
| >>
| >> Thanks in advance for any help that is given.
| >>
| >> Jerry
| > I realise this doesn't answer your question (partly because downloading
| > Win 3.1 without paying is very likely illegal), but why not use a small
| > distro of linux? I've heard of some that run very, very well on a 386
and
| > some probably run on slower systems. Just a thought.
|
| Thank you for your help. I was under the impression that whem Microsoft
| stoped supporting win3.1 it became available for download when not for
| Profit.
|
| I will look into your linux suggestion, do you know it can be downloaded
| floppies.

Jerry

Guido said:
I realise this doesn't answer your question (partly because downloading
Win 3.1 without paying is very likely illegal), but why not use a small
distro of linux? I've heard of some that run very, very well on a 386 and
some probably run on slower systems. Just a thought.

Thank you for your help. I was under the impression that whem Microsoft
stoped supporting win3.1 it became available for download when not for
Profit.

I will look into your linux suggestion, do you know it can be downloaded to
floppies.

Richard Steinfeld

Jerry said:
Thank you for your help. I was under the impression that whem Microsoft
stoped supporting win3.1 it became available for download when not for
Profit.

I will look into your linux suggestion, do you know it can be downloaded to
floppies.
I like this, too.
Somehow, I feel better about using a current Linux rather than an
"obsolete" Windows. Even though I have good memories of the software I
mentioned, and DOS offers a maintainability that latter-day Windows
can't match, I also reflect on something else:
- When I studied Unix, I felt that it was just like DOS with all the
restraints removed. Like DOS without limits.
- I haven't studied Linux, but it has been described to me as
essentially the same as Unix. Thus, it's probable that I'd feel very
comfortable with it.
- With Linux, you're not stuck with software of "ancient history." You
may be able to have currency despite using an old machine. Hmm. I may be
talking to myself, too.

Richard

Bjorn Simonsen

Guido wrote in said:
I realise this doesn't answer your question (partly because downloading
Win 3.1 without paying is very likely illegal), but why not use a small
distro of linux? I've heard of some that run very, very well on a 386
and some probably run on slower systems.

Like Basic Linux - and maybe other - listed her:
<http://short.stop.home.att.net/freesoft/os.htm#linux>

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

Bjorn Simonsen

Jerry wrote in said:
I recently bought a Compaq Contura Aero
4/25. It does not have a CD Rom so I need to download to Floppies

Some links to sites/pages that may be helpful found in my
02 June 2004 post - copied below
(also found at
<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comp.freeware/msg/ff6e337110b77f8c?hl=en>
plain:
<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comp.freeware/msg/ff6e337110b77f8c?dmode=source&hl=en>)

//COPY

Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:28:51 +0200

TW wrote in said:
Does anyone have personal knowledge or by reputation good DOS/Win 3
sites?

I suggest, for questions/suggestions you browse/ask in the
following Usenet groups:
Win3 <DOS <
Also see:
Free Software For DOS:<http://short.stop.home.att.net/index.htm>
and: <http://home.att.net/~short.stop/vde.htm#moredos>

Interesting DOS programs:<http://www.opus.co.tt/dave/>.

"DOS Utilities and Comments" (not so current):
<http://www.oregonfast.net/steen/msdos.htm>

"Doctor DOS Betamax"
<http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ak621/DOS/DOS-Head.html>
with DOS and batch tips, and many links on
<http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ak621/DOS/Websites.html>

For more DOS links,see Timo Salmi's link coelection!:
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/http2.html#batch

Also have a look at "The Oldskool PC" <http://www.oldskool.org/>
with among other things some helpful guides, like
"Getting Old Software Running on Newer PCs"
<http://www.oldskool.org/guides/oldonnew/intro>

If you have a IBMPS/2 or a regular 2/3/486 (or
a old Pentium) you want to breath some life into,
this site could be worth browsing <http://www.computercraft.com/>
(also some software links there I think...if memory serves)

//END COPY

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

Bjorn Simonsen

Bjorn Simonsen wrote in said:
Some links to sites/pages that may be helpful found in my
02 June 2004 post - copied below
<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comp.freeware/msg/ff6e337110b77f8c?hl=en>
[...]

Adding - Dr-DOS,formerly/aka:
Digital Research (Dr-DOS)
Novell (Novell DOS)
Caldera Inc. (Caldera OpenDOS)
Lineo Inc. (Lineo Dr-DOS)
Devicelogic Inc. (Devicelogic's Dr-DOS)
DRDOS Inc. (Dr-DOS)
Links at:
<http://www.drdosprojects.de/index.cgi/links.htm>

Also, about what to do with an old 386, linux distros included,
try a google search for "old 386":
<http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&lr=&q="old+386"&btnG=Search>
ditto newsgroup search:
<http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q="old 386"&num=50&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wg>

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

John Corliss

Jerry said:
Is there a location where I can download
Win 3.1

I recently bought a Compaq Contura Aero
4/25. It does not have a CD Rom so I need to download to Floppies.

It has MS-Dos on it and it is partitioned with a K directory. I am pretty
sure it had
win 3.1 on it but the program has been deleted or destroyed.

Well, of course that's copywrited and downloading a "free" copy would be
piracy. However, you might try eBay:

http://tinyurl.com/dbu5h

harsha godavari

Jerry said:
Thank you for your help. I was under the impression that whem Microsoft
stoped supporting win3.1 it became available for download when not for Profit.

I will look into your linux suggestion, do you know it can be downloaded to
floppies.

Jerry:
Try Tiny Linux from the following site. You need 2 floppies to boot
and 12 floppies for the OS. There are several packages for various jobs. All are
small & free.

Regards
Harsha Godavari

http://tiny.seul.org/
Tiny Linux is a small Linux distribution designed especially for old recycled
computers.

05/06/18: Andre Nieuwoudt andre - at - computron.za.net is taking over the
project; please contact him if you want to help!!

TINY Linux distribution comes under GNU GPL.

Technical requirements:

processor : i386 or better
hard disk : 50 Mo is enough for installation itself, but you will do
better with at least 80 Mo
ram: 8 MB minimum, 12 MB or 16MB is better
floppy drive :3"1/4
keyboard, mouse

André Gulliksen

Richard said:
- I haven't studied Linux, but it has been described to me as
essentially the same as Unix. Thus, it's probable that I'd feel very
comfortable with it.

More like "Unix wannabe". Basically means it looks like Unix, smells like
Unix and sort of tastes like it. Besides, the difference between Linux and
Unix is not much bigger than the difference between Unix and Unix anyway.

Daniel Mandic

Hi!

I would also look for the Win32S Extender for WfW 3.11. So you can use
32bit Software, too.

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

(ProteanThread)

Jerry said:
Thank you for your help. I was under the impression that whem Microsoft
stoped supporting win3.1 it became available for download when not for
Profit.

I will look into your linux suggestion, do you know it can be downloaded to
floppies.

http://www.bootdisk.com i think (or dot org net info whatever but there
is a site that only does boot disks)

David

Thank you for your help. I was under the impression that whem Microsoft
stoped supporting win3.1 it became available for download when not for
Profit.

I will look into your linux suggestion, do you know it can be downloaded to
floppies.
The first Linux installation I did was from floppies way back in 1994.
It was Slackware but don't ask me which version number. Current
versions seem to rely on CDs. RH9 or earlier was compiled for '386
processors but if you can find an older version it is more likely to
recognise your hardware, I'd suggest V6 or earlier.

Just as a suggestion, CD drives are very cheap so why not put one into
the machine. Don't try a DVD though. I would also be leery of a
secondhand CD drive unless you are sure it works. You would need to
load drivers as I doubt that the machine would be able to boot from
CD. Most Linux distributions include a floppy image to facilitate such
a situation.