Which Router To Buy??

Reaction score
Hiya Guys

Apologies again for the lack of...well...presence!!

Our modem router is interfering with the quality of the telephone... so it has to go.

We want to replace it with an all singing all dancing one that is going to last for ages (e.g. ADSL2+ and MIMO etc) so are looking for quite a high end unit.

What is the best one out there for between 50 and 100 pound coins?

It has to have at least 4 ethernet ports and be wireless, and have a built in modem etc.

Above all it has to be reliable.

Any help appreciated :) I don't really know what brands are good and which aren't nowadays!

Ta :)

Chris

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I have what the 'bradband geeks' say is the best ADSL/ADSL+2 router that is the Speedtouch 585 v6. :)

http://www.dsldepot.co.uk/product_details.asp?idProduct=851

Got mine from the above, it was a referb, but you honestly would never know, and at the price its a bargain, their about £50 new. :)

You can also use DMT with it, to manually tweak your SNR too which is a bonus. ;)

Forgot to say, its also what a lot of ISP's recommend, including Zen, Entanet and so on.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
V_R said:
the best ADSL/ADSL+2 router that is the Speedtouch 585 v6. :)

I took V_R's advice and got a Thomson Speedtouch 585v6. Works like a dream:thumb: . Absolutely no problems. Got it brand new on eBay.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
When I bought my ADSL Router/Modem, my ISP, Zen, were recommending Netgear, so that's what I bought. It's been absolutely fine. I have the wired version. Dead easy to set up.

But V_R's right, Zen are now recommending and offering for sale only Speedtouch Hardware :eek: They are still offering Netgear PC Ethernet cards though I notice.

Blimey.

They're both about the same price new, I guess if I was in the market for a new one I'd go with V_R's advice :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I bought a Speedtouch at ZEN Internets recommendation to replace a Netgear DG834G as I was suffering occasional drop-outs due to poor line attenuation - the Speedtouch is far better and no dropouts since...................however for performance on the wireless side you are going to get better signal/coverage/range with a Pre-N/MIMO unit.

Reaction score
Hmm.

Signal coverage is quite important... but this Speedtouch does sound like a damn good unit.

What would you all suggest as being the best MIMI/Pre-N unit on the market?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i have that router as well, got it from Be as its supposed to work better with ADSL2+

i did have to downgrade the firmware to make it run better, the interface is a little strange to navigate around but its a decent router even if it does run a tad warm

Reaction score
Connectivity wise buffelow is the best ..... i am using it for last 6 months and i have never faced problem.....

Ask a Question