Which AllinOne Printer to buy?

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a new inkjet All-in-one printer for general home use and would like some advice on top of the research I have done if. I'd like a failry compact unit that can produce good quality photographs and colour prints (doesn't have to be top class). Print speed doesn't have to be super fast but for draft B&W prints its nice to be quick, this applies for copy/scan speeds.

I have been looking mainly at HP and Canon printers which aestically suit the bill however I have heard that even though Canons are good if they work, if you have a problem then support is notoriously bad - anyone concur? HPs however seem to be well supported but you need to use HP only cartridges making it slighty more expensive.

I don't intend to do a lot of colour printing, maily B&W text. Is it better to have three seperate cartridges for colour or a combined one? Anyone know what the printing/scanning software is like with these units? My budget is £100 - £150.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi there :wave:

This topic was raised here earlier this month, so you might like to cast an eye over this thread

Hope it helps :)

Reaction score
I did actually read that article before posting and noticed that the HP model you posted was now discontinued. I was hoping something was able to reccomend a specific model number that is current rather me trawling through endless reviews and HP products. It seems they have many variaiton on just one particular model - what dfiferentiates them all?

Reaction score
Have a look at this Here read the reviews you wont go far wrong with these.

Some may beg to differ, but IMHO they are the best :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I think the new Epson range have the edge at the moment with there fantastic DURAbrite printing inks and economical cartridge system..

DURABrite inks make exceptional printing performance a reality in all your day-to-day uses. They provide vivid, accurate colours and laser-quality text combined with water-proof, smudge-proof and fade-resistant printing, even on plain and recycled paper

After reading reviews all over the place the consencus was to go for the newer Epson DX series..

After using mine I can confirm that the quality is far better than my HP all in one and far more economical to use..:nod: Carts are a damn site cheaper an all..:thumb:

Reaction score
I have the Epson Stylus DX4800 which has been a great all in 1 printer.
Under £100 from Staples.:thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
MeMateBigDave said:
I did actually read that article before posting and noticed that the HP model you posted was now discontinued. I was hoping something was able to reccomend a specific model number that is current rather me trawling through endless reviews and HP products. It seems they have many variaiton on just one particular model - what dfiferentiates them all?

There are 45 of them in stock HERE priced at £69.99

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
I think the new Epson range have the edge at the moment with there fantastic DURAbrite printing inks and economical cartridge system..

DURABrite inks make exceptional printing performance a reality in all your day-to-day uses. They provide vivid, accurate colours and laser-quality text combined with water-proof, smudge-proof and fade-resistant printing, even on plain and recycled paper

After reading reviews all over the place the consencus was to go for the newer Epson DX series..

After using mine I can confirm that the quality is far better than my HP all in one and far more economical to use..:nod: Carts are a damn site cheaper an all..:thumb:

That sounds good.

Ya got me interested now.

I'm always open to suggestions and have no loyalty to one brand, I just go by my own experience or strong recommendations from other peeps. Oh, and avoid Lexmark.

All I know is that I've had five HP printers (I have three kids); two Canon Printers and one Epson.

All the HP printers were good, the other three rubbish. One of the Canons was so bad I actually took it back to the shop the same day I bought it and insisted on a refund. Which I received :)

And it was recommended by some PC magazine or other as Best Buy as well.

On that same day I learnt not to trust magazines as well, they just take back-handers and publish good stuff about bad stuff.

That particular Canon, in fairness, was purchased eight years ago but once bitten....

That Epson series does sound good, although I'm not actually in the market to buy a printer atm.

And whilst we're mentioning printers, if anybody's in the market for a Laser Printer I can recommend Samsung & Brother from my own experience.

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the various tips and advice, in end the I have gone for an HP Photosmart C4380 All-in-One. Although this is the WiFi version of the C4340 it seemed better supported in terms of cartridge availability. In the end it was the only one that fit the space I need to to go in apart from the DX4000 which was not favourable in a number of reviews I read.

I would have picked one of the DX5000/6000 range if they had not been slightly too wide.

Reaction score
I have a Epson DX5050 all in one printer using DURABrite ink and, so far, it`s been great for both printing letters and photo`s. I`ve been using Epson printers since my Amiga days and always found them very good.
Historian.

Reaction score
Answering your question I would recommend you to visit TestFreaks, choose Multi Functional Printers category and sort models by score:
http://www.testfreaks.co.uk/multi-functional-printers/?sort=score
Such way you'll see which MFPs have the best ratings, based on expert and user reviews from all over the world.
Near every model you'll see it's lowest price, so I think this is the most objective way to find the best one for your budget £100 - £150

Ask a Question