What was the first PC Game you remember playing?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, what was it? Not a console game, a PC Game which for most of us will probably mean playing something on a machine such as an Intel 386.

Got this idea from the Ubisoft site.

I'm not sure a BBC Micro counts as a PC but if so then for me it was Chuckie Egg.

But the game I really remember as being the first was Doom II on a brother-in-law's 486 machine whilst visiting him in Somerset.

I didn't own a computer at the time but he copied the three Doom disks for me and as luck would have it I was given an old computer from a place where I done some work, it may have been an 8086 or something like that.

Changed the motherboard to a 386 (the CPU was hard soldered in place with a tiny passive heatsink) and I was away playing Doom II.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Microprose GP and Doom. Both played on and friends 386 PC which was if memory serves me right was running OS2 which a year later was upgraded to a 486.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Treasure Island Dizzy on the ZX Spectrum +2 128K was one of the first if I remember correctly. I was pretty young, about 8 or 10 at a guess as it would have been late '80's, We had a few games on that, Super Stunt Man was another I have fond memories of, along with Double Dragon, Altered Beast, Golden Axe maybe too?

As for a proper PC game it was Star wars Tie Fighter Wars. Must have been '94-96 round a friends house on his dad's fancy new computer. no idea of the specs or details though, I just remember it was his pride and joy at the time.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_TIE_Fighter

I think Sim City 2000 was another we played quite a lot.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Amstrad PCW 128 running the OS CP/M (MS stole it and called it DOS) and played a chess game & Pacman ... on a green screen monitor. :nod:

In the same 'office' I had a Whearns (sic, made in Singapore) 286 PC that had a 386 experimental daughterboard in one of the riser slots ... I played an early version of, I think, PGA Golf on it with Nettie.

The mid-late 80s :eek: :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
The first game I remember playing was Gauntlet on my step-brother's old Amstrad computer. I used to love it!

That old Amstrad became the PC my parents used to run their business for a while, so I wasn't allowed to play games on it after that.

My dad had a Sega Megadrive, and when we were visiting him we used to play on Aladdin, that was always good fun :)

My brother got a Playstation when we were younger, and he would occasionally let me play on it, but I used to enjoy just watching too.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What a good idea for a thread, @floppybootstomp :D.

Treasure Island Dizzy on the ZX Spectrum +2 128K was one of the first if I remember correctly. I was pretty young, about 8 or 10 at a guess as it would have been late '80's, We had a few games on that, Super Stunt Man was another I have fond memories of, along with Double Dragon, Altered Beast, Golden Axe maybe too?

You've just summed up my childhood! I had a Spectrum 48K, then got a +2 128K a few years later. That Dizzy game brings back a lot of memories and was the game I remember the most (along with Fantasy World Dizzy)! Double Dragon, Altered Beast and Golden Axe were my favourite games on the MegaDrive that I got a few years later.

As for PC games, my first PC was a very old 8086 PC (a lot older than I was at the time!). Prince of Persia and Space Quest were the games that I remember the most.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah I have fond memories of the Spectrum, the noise and the wait when loading a game, the rage when you accidentally hit the bloody reset button!

We had a MegaDrive too, Desert Strike, Jungle Strike, Streets of Rage, Sonic, Road Rash 2! It was made even better as we thought we were getting a Master System for Christmas as money was tight. You should have seem our faces when we ripped open the wrapping paper!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Tomb Raider on an Athlon Thunderbird powered pc with a SIS graphics card. :cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Tomb Raider on an Athlon Thunderbird powered pc with a SIS graphics card. :cool:

I had an Athlon Thunderbird 850 Mhz in an Abit KT7 Motherboard, overclocked to 1Ghz with the aid of a few pencil lines. Probably used a Voodoo 3DFX Grafix card.

I mentioned only PC games but my kids had a Sega Megadrive (The 'Genesis' model that took cartridges) which I often commandeered after they'd gone to bed. Played loads of games on that - Aladdin, Sonic and my favourite was Mickey Mouses Castle Of Illusion which I actually managed to finish. Which, considering there was no save option, I think was pretty good.

A version of the Mickey Mouse Castle game was released for PC but the publishers/developers made a right pigs ear of it sad to say.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I had an Athlon Thunderbird 850 Mhz in an Abit KT7 Motherboard, overclocked to 1Ghz with the aid of a few pencil lines. Probably used a Voodoo 3DFX Grafix card.

Shame I had to get rid of the good old Thunderbird but it would not play You Tube vids or some of the modern games (we are talking 2004 here) and made a heap of noise and I could not upgrade the GFX card.
Bought it second hand of flea bay. Took me a month to figure out why it kept crashing. A £5 cooling fan fixed that. Took me another month to figure out that I had a pirated Windows which I could not reinstall. So I bought a legit version, cost me three times what I paid for the pc. I did all that from a Bush TV internet box.
Good old girl was still running well when it went to that great scrapyard in the sky.

Hammys_pint.gif
stretcher.gif

Reaction score
Both great games to start with :D. I played the original Halflife very late on, I wish I'd played it sooner.
Yeah, I was late on both of them. That's really why I can't remember which one I played first. But they were great and got me started on my path to PC gaming

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
we used to play on Aladdin, that was always good fun :)

I remember this Aladdin game, we used to play it on a console though, I can't remember if it was SNES or Sega Genesis :fool:

But the very earliest PC game I remember playing was Lemmings. Those little guys would just walk over the edge to their death :eek:

Shortly after that I played Wheel of Fortune on a green screen computer on those large floppy discs :nod:

Ask a Question