Game you miss the most?

Reaction score
Anyone as old as me might remember waiting outside a warehouse to collect a copy of Wolfenstein 3D, or Doom, or Quake on a batch of floppy disks...I remember Duke Nukem being around 9 - yes, that's right, 9 floppy disks! - that's just how vast this bad boy of a game was!

Now, the cool thing is that it is entirely possible to play all of these games on a modern PC...however, there's one game that i played quite a few years ago that i can't find anywhere in a form that I can now play on an i7 system...What game?, i hear you all call out in unison...

Star Wards Pod Racer.:bow:

What a cool game that was. I have tried to download it and tweak my system to play it, using every trick i could find on the web, but i failed miserably every time.

And I miss it so bad :cry::(:mad:

What game or games do ya'll miss?

(And if you know how I can play Pod racer again...please shout out!:dance:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have an original copy of Star Wars Pod Racer.

I also have a Socket A machine loaded with Win 98 I use to exclusively play old games.

And guess what? SWPR won't run on that machine.

On the Win 98 machine I have Direct X 8.0 installed, I have a hunch that SWPR is only happy with DirectX 7.0 or less.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Looks like it could be win 95 time then for you boys...Was it a DOS based game or purely Windows!

I have an old 486DX4-100 running MS-DOS 6.22 kicking about in the garage..:D

Game I miss the most Geoff Crammonds GP series of games, they were streets ahead of any F1 racing simulator out there and I learn't Monaco like the back of my hand playing this game, even today the track hasn't changed any!

Could this be the one Integer http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lucas-Class...Q6XK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1319153386&sr=8-3

Its Win 95/98 but does say that downloading the patches gets it running fine in XP

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yep, CL, that's the one I was talking about, it's a very good game, ahead of it's time.

Patches for XP eh? I'll have to try that on my XP machine then.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I really miss the simulation game "Porsche-Unleashed" loved the graphics and never liked anything after that. :(

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Yep, CL, that's the one I was talking about, it's a very good game, ahead of it's time.

Patches for XP eh? I'll have to try that on my XP machine then.

http://yodashelpdesk.lucasarts.com/faq.asp

Yoda is the man :lol:

Q: I am having problems with Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer in Windows XP. A: Unfortunately, Racer is not officially supported for use with the Windows XP Operating System. We've determined through customer input along with our own testing here that this game experiences various incompatibilities which cannot be resolved by means of standard troubleshooting.

However, we do have a new executable file for the game (Swep1rcr.exe) that we are currently testing. This new .exe file addresses a known issue with Racer in Windows XP, where users encounter a white screen once they enter a race. We recommend that you download the new exe file for the game from our FTP site at:

ftp://ftp.lucasarts.com/patches/pc/swep1rcr.exe

Simply copy or save this file into your Racer folder on the harddrive (the default location is C:\Program Files\LucasArts\RACER). When you are asked if you want to overwrite the existing Swep1rcr.exe file, select yes. Then try playing the game once more to see if the new file corrects the problem.

If you use a mail program which has security precautions which will not allow you to download the updated file, please highlight and copy the FTP address above, and paste it into the address bar on your web browser to download the update.

Please note that this updated version of the game exe is for the domestic (U.S.) and other English versions of the game. If you have a non-English version of Star Wars Episode I Racer, please write back and we can send you the international version of the update.

At your earliest convenience, please write back and let us know if this update allows you to run the game without any problems.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I really miss the simulation game "Porsche-Unleashed" loved the graphics and never liked anything after that. :(

I have that game but it was named 'Porsche 2000' in the UK, was one of the earliest Need For Speed Series.

I have it installed in XP and it works fine and yes, great graphics in the game, love the French roads and the scenery.

I also installed it in Win 7 just out of curiosity and it worked, but not very well, was jerky and cars leant to the left. I didn't try it in compatible mode within Win 7 though.

Reaction score

Conkers !:cry:

QUESTION: what have conkers and FPS got in common?
ANSWER: They are both extremely violent and dangerous games...playing a shooter makes everyone want to go out and kill people for real; playing conkers can have someone's eye out, so wear safety goggles or ban it!

The sad thing is that these statements both reflect the real positions that some people take...they should chill and take up pod racing!!! :thumb:

Note: the equivalent of 'upgarading my rig' in conkers was to soak them in HP sauce and bake them in the oven...I convinced myself it worked!

Last edited:

Ask a Question