What is the best Anti-Virus to use?

Reaction score
I dont have any money to buy an anti virus software. Can you suggest any free but a good one?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I wouldn't call any AV program "The Best" but I also use MSE ... it'll do. :)

Reaction score
When I found that Norton was causing my Screen Saver problem, many of you experts out there recommended Microsoft Security Essentials.
I am a bit suspicious of ‘Free’ AV as When I used to use one (AVG Free) my PC got infected, according to my local PC shop who cleaned my old PC and said they had found hundreds of viruses.
This was why I switched to a paid for AV, i.e. Norton.
Looking at the reviews, Bitdefender came out top with Kaspersky & Norton not far behind.
So, do you get full protection from free programmes like Microsoft Security Essentials?
If free AV software dose the job, then why do people buy commercial programmes?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I have been using free Anti-virus for as long as I can remember, never had any issue, just make sure you have your AV updated no matter whether you use free ones or paid ones.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Companies offer free AV software for at least two reasons. The first being the free version is often what they term a 'lite' version and they hope you'll fork out for the full Monty version of their product, or sometimes hope you'll buy different software that company sells.

The second reason is that by offering free versions of their software they can collect data from users, of nasties out in the wild and thus keep their virus databases relatively up to date. Anti-virus software is a competitive market and those who are ahead with their databases should, in theory, be the more attractive product to prospective purchasers.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
To me the free version is just like a test drive. The companies hope you like it, and as FBS says will go for the full monty.
I use Avast and MSE and they both do what the tin says.
The biggest enemy is the user itself. Stay away from shady sites and you will be fine. As well as MSE and Avast, I also use Web Of Trust

Ask a Question