what hoover/vacuum?

Reaction score
the dyson we have had for 11 years has gone on the blink
it doesn't want to turn on and when it does it will power off!

could repair it def an option but if I wanted a new hoover
can any of you recommend one?

cheers
psd99

Reaction score
I was always a nilfisk man but have recently switched to Vax.....cannot believe the power. Also it does wet pick up too if ya wanna shampoo the carpet.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A Mr Henry or a Vax.

They don't look as space-age as a Dyson but they perform better and last a lot longer than a Dyson.

Dyson's are the biggest con ever, cosmetics selling a product that's overpriced and inferior to the two makes I mentioned.

I have a Vax wet/dry vacuum cleaner/carpet cleaner that is 24 years old and works perfectly though I only use it for carpet cleaning these days. The Vax design hasn't changed much in that time.

My regular vacum cleaner is a Mr Henry, a green one, the same cleaner that can be seen being used daily in thousands of public buildings.

Go into the back of any place that repairs domestic appliances and you'll see wall to wall Dysons lined up, all failed, some less than a few years old, all waiting to be repaired.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Dyson are crap. Seriously. Biggest con ever. Wake up people.

This is not a vendetta, purely fact.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
About six years ago I walked into a local domestic appliance shop to buy some parts for a washing machine and noticed six recent Dyson Vacum Cleaners lined up in the reception area with repair tickets on them.

I asked the guy behind the counter 'What's that with all the Dysons, I thought they were good'

He said: 'Nope, they're rubbish, they're our biggest repairs earner'

He then went on to explain that by using a clever advertising campaign and having Dyson vacum cleaner parts made in transparent coloured plastic Dyson had appealed to the general plebbiness inherent in us all and had sold good looking tools that performed like rubbish to a great deal of the British public.

And when you look at them, the design ethic is so obvious, this comes as no surprise.

Vax are big clumsy looking lumps of orange plastic that don't look very cool at all, despite their trying.

But, Vax seriously **** all over Dysons when it comes to performance.

So, you gonna be a fashion slave or buy a machine that actually does what it says it can do?

Reaction score
Well we never made anything that worked look at BMC as against the the Honda and the Datsun when they came over here. We wernt used to cars that just went from service to service without breaking down, same with British mortor bikes if it did not leak oil it was time to put some in. Nothing wrong with British engeneering you just have to get used to their little foybles:D

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Dyson gets my vote, the results for me speak for themselves. Me ma's had dysons since they first come out (DC01). I've got the DC32 animal at my house as its nice and compact. A henry is a waste of space really, I do own one though, just to suck up the sand in me bearded dragons cage so I dont ruin me dyson ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Interesting Flops, i always thought they were reliable. Our Dyson has been good, yes it died once but they came out, changed a bit on it it and it was going again.

Though i must confess, Vacuum cleaners are not my forte. lol

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... and now, for your listening pleasure, I bring you, the top ten by Amazon.

:dance:

Reaction score
thanks

lol flopps I'm surprised u are so anti dyson

will read your posts again but the dyson we had got us through 11 years.
surely that is pretty great for a hoover

anyone ever had a miele? I think it is spelt like that really good from most reviews.

vax? used to have a vax before the dyson that must have lasted 10-15 years as well

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
... and now, for your listening pleasure, I bring you, the top ten by Amazon.

:dance:

That list is for upright vacum cleaners whereas the Vax & The Dyson are cylinder cleaners and that's a whole different debate, really.

I can't find a trace of 'Smart & Tested Top Tens at Amazon and various Google searches only bring up a dated 'Smart & Tested' page for GPS systems.

Plus, that list was compiled by one individual so it's likely to be either a personal opinion or greased by payola.

In the same way that many folk are victims of style over content some folk will believe any reviews/lists/opinions on the internet or magazines and trust in them. Fools. As an example, there are good reviews out there for Mesh computers.

I will agree the Dysons look good if you're into that kind of thing but as Amstrad and Bose were and are to the world of Hi Fi, so Dyson are to the world of Vacum cleaners.

In my opinion ;)

I'm only quoting my experience here which is all I really trust. I've used Dysons before, last used one in a Mosque at Gravesend to hoover up some mess I'd made on the carpet installing CCTV. It was useless.

If folks are happy with their Dysons, so be it, who am I to criticise? ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
That list is for upright vacum cleaners whereas the Vax & The Dyson are cylinder cleaners and that's a whole different debate, really.

I can't find a trace of 'Smart & Tested Top Tens at Amazon and various Google searches only bring up a dated 'Smart & Tested' page for GPS systems.

Plus, that list was compiled by one individual so it's likely to be either a personal opinion or greased by payola.

In the same way that many folk are victims of style over content some folk will believe any reviews/lists/opinions on the internet or magazines and trust in them. Fools. As an example, there are good reviews out there for Mesh computers.

I will agree the Dysons look good if you're into that kind of thing but as Amstrad and Bose were and are to the world of Hi Fi, so Dyson are to the world of Vacum cleaners.

In my opinion ;)

I'm only quoting my experience here which is all I really trust. I've used Dysons before, last used one in a Mosque at Gravesend to hoover up some mess I'd made on the carpet installing CCTV. It was useless.

If folks are happy with their Dysons, so be it, who am I to criticise? ;)
oh, sorry, was just listening to the music, did that vid have pictures :confused:

I like sucking up beer. :)

Reaction score
:nod:I think as a Dyson user & owner with a new Dyson Nos 2 when I got married to the new Mrs bootneck02 they were revolutionary and that was 10 years ago and the other manufactures had not yet caught up with them with design, power and userbility but now the other manufactures have placed a lot of hard dosh to catch up with Dyson as they lost sales to Dyson and now there many manufactures that produce as good if not better vaccumn cleaners at a lot less money than Dyson .Our Dyson is on its last legs and will have to be replaced soon, my best vaccumn cleaner was a Hoover Junior which the first Mrs bootneck02 had for 32 years and the only replacements were one beater brush, the occasional drive belt and bags.:dance:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
We've had a few different vacuums over the years, including a Hoover Jr, (1970s) then an Electrolux, (1980s) both uprights, followed by a Vax wet/dry (big orange tub on wheels, 1990s) and a Dyson DC04, another upright, bought around 2002.

Then came "Colin" the iRobot Roomba, who cheerfully scuttles around the floor, nudging the cats out of his way as he brushes up their fur fall-out. He not only cleans, he entertains. :D

Colin the robot cannot clean the car interior, of course, nor can he climb curtains or clean those high-up areas normally reached with extension hoses/nozzles, so we still have the Dyson. It is getting-on a bit now, but suction is as efficient as ever. The only problem was a split that developed in the hose (but we purchased a replacement and fitted it ourselves;) more recently, I noticed the insulation has worn off the power cable (where it leaves the body of the machine) so coloured sleeves of the wires beneath are showing. :blush:

Lurking in the loft, is the Vax. That too is still going strong, but is very cumbersome to use. I always get entangled in the long, long lead and hose, so it is only brought out if we need to shampoo a carpet.

Also in the loft, is a very ancient Hoover, which belonged to my late grandmother. It's the kind which has a brown, fabric dust-bag on the side, which inflates when the motor is switched on. It has to be about 60+ years old, but last time we tried it, yup, it still worked well.

Favourites..? The Dyson and Colin the robot. Only because they both work efficiently and I genuinely like them.
:thumb:

Reaction score
I like the Idea of Robin the robot but I think my dogs especially the brown bomb Brandy would attack it and destroy it ably assisted by Laddie, probably electrocuting themselves in the process, no I think I will leave Robin out of the equasion.:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I like the Idea of Robin the robot but I think my dogs especially the brown bomb Brandy would attack it and destroy it ably assisted by Laddie, probably electrocuting themselves in the process, no I think I will leave Robin out of the equasion.:D

This vacum cleaner is cordless, powered by battery, so no chance of electrocuting pooches :)

It is pricey though, models start at 300 quid.

Link >> http://www.iroboteurope.co.uk/

Ask a Question