Cordless drill recommendation

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thinking about buying a new cordless drill and wondered if anybody here could recommend one.

I have a Blue Bosch GBH 24 GFR SDS 24V which I bought around 11 years ago for about £280 and this is one of the best tool purchases I ever made, goes through stressed concrete with ease. Both original batteries have bit the dust but I bought two non-Bosch replacements for a reasonable price and they work fine.

I also have a green Bosch PSR 14.4 Mild hammer action 14.4 volt which I bought around 10 years ago for £80-ish and this is the one I want to replace because it’s rubbish. The main reason it’s rubbish is fully charged batteries lose all their charge over 24 hours, it’s been like that since new. The chuck isn’t much cop either.

The Blue Bosch 24 GFR batteries keep their charge for up to a month btw.

Main criteria for new drill is supplied with two batteries that keep their charge for at least a fortnight and a reasonable sized chuck and good action. I’ve been considering Makita and De Walt and budget of around £90 - £150.

There’s a huge choice available so if anybody has had experience of using a similar drill to the one I want to replace I’d be pleased to hear from you.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Reaction score
Makita, Hilti, Dewalt, Ryobi, Milwaukee

Have had or still own them all. It all depnds whether it's for site work or general domestic use

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Makita, Hilti, Dewalt, Ryobi, Milwaukee

Have had or still own them all. It all depnds whether it's for site work or general domestic use

For on site work I always use the 24V Bosch and the Bosch I want to replace I use mainly around the home though it has ventured on site once or twice.

I've used Hiltis but never owned one I always considered them the heavyweight professionals when it came to drills, I wasn't aware they done a small domestic type drill. A schoolkeeper once lent me his Hilti to drill through a 1 metre thick stressed concrete floor (Yes, I had the SDS drill bit myself luckily). I was impressed.

Mucks: Thanks for recommendation, I'm a bit wary of green Bosch drills after the performance of the one I bought but I'll give it some thought.

Ask a Question