Web file storage and distribution

Michael Salem

I'm sure I've seen this sort of thing, but can't find a reference. I'm
looking for a way to distribute small numbers and kilobytes of files via
the Web (or some other mechanism). Maybe 200kb, a handful of users who
might each download once a year. I'd very much like to distribute
Windows EXE files this way (some services don't allow EXEs). Users must
be able to download, but not upload, files (administrators with an
appropriate password must of course be able to upload). (Some services
don't seem to support restricted users with read-only access -- ZNAIL
otherwise looks interesting. You can use ZNAIL free for small amounts of
space and downloads, with a monetary contribution giving you additional
capacity. Totally free, with no requirement to contribute, for small
capacity: I don't know whether it qualifies as freeware for this group.)

A URL which includes name and password would be nice. Ideally, I give
someone a URL like www.tinyurl.com/abcdef and tell them to download a
file or two to the desktop. I don't mind unauthorised outsiders
DOWNloading. This could be either a pure service, or a service supported
by software on remote machines.

As far as I'm concerned it doesn't need to be free; 30-day demoware or
adware is OK, though other newsgroup members will be more interested in
freeware. If there is an eventual cost, I don't want to pay for 5GB of
space with megabytes per day of download.

Best wishes,

Michael Salem

I asked about services making files available over the Internet. I want
to store files somewhere where they can be downloaded by people who I
send the address to; these people shouldn't be able to upload files to
the same place.

Many thanks to the anonymous poster who gave these URLs.

For anybody interested: this fits the requirements I specified exactly.
I can upload files, free, with no registration. For each file uploaded I
am given a URL to allow the file to be downloaded, and another URL which
allows me to delete the file. Files may be stored indefinitely, but may
be deleted if not accessed for 30 days (a bit of a problem for me). The
URLS are a bit longer than I like, but I can use tinyurl or a similar
service to generate a short URL I can give over the phone.

This is for sending files, which may be very large, to specified
addresses. A useful service, but not what I need.

Seems similar to yousendit, but I haven't checked in detail.

znail is also interesting (see my previous post), but you can't prevent
people from uploading to your account.

Best wishes,

Susan Bugher

Michael said:
For anybody interested: this fits the requirements I specified exactly.
I can upload files, free, with no registration. For each file uploaded I
am given a URL to allow the file to be downloaded, and another URL which
allows me to delete the file. Files may be stored indefinitely, but may
be deleted if not accessed for 30 days (a bit of a problem for me). The
URLS are a bit longer than I like, but I can use tinyurl or a similar
service to generate a short URL I can give over the phone.

This is for sending files, which may be very large, to specified
addresses. A useful service, but not what I need.

Not so fast. ;) You can use this service just like you use rapidshare.de (it's has been used fairly
often in ACF). The how-to: send the file to yourself. Copy the download URL - it's shown on the web
page and emailed to the recipient (you). Post it in ACF - or in your case send the URL to your
friends. Drawbacks: the files are stored for a relatively short period of time and there's a limit
on the total number of downloads.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Michael Salem

Susan Bugher responded:
Not so fast. ;) You can use this service just like you use rapidshare.de (it's has been used fairly
often in ACF). The how-to: send the file to yourself. Copy the download URL - it's shown on the web
page and emailed to the recipient (you). Post it in ACF - or in your case send the URL to your
friends. Drawbacks: the files are stored for a relatively short period of time and there's a limit
on the total number of downloads.

Many thanks for the clarification. It sounds ideal for distributing
something new to a number of users, but not for longer-term storage. I
should think I can use this for many purposes (but not for my immediate
requirement).

Best wishes,

burnr

Many thanks for the clarification. It sounds ideal for distributing
something new to a number of users, but not for longer-term storage. I
should think I can use this for many purposes (but not for my immediate
requirement).

Best wishes,

If you have your own web space with a host that supports php, this is an
excellent free php script for sharing files...
http://phpatm.free.fr/

I missed your original post so this may or may not be useful to you.

Susan Bugher

Michael said:
Susan Bugher responded:

Many thanks for the clarification. It sounds ideal for distributing
something new to a number of users, but not for longer-term storage. I
should think I can use this for many purposes (but not for my immediate
requirement).

You're welcome. I thought the info might come in handy sometime. Yousendit.com is a great way to
make a requested file available in ACF - easier than exchanging email addresses - more universally
accessible than an upload to abf.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware