Washing Powders & Liquids ... recommendations please

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Strange request you may think but I never did do the washing in our house, I'd hang it out & get it in, but never bought the stuff that goes in the machine.

I have finally finished Asda's own crap, last time I listen to my brother on that one ... it has a 'smell' I could not stand ... probably 'cos I live in a flat that has no outside washing line to 'blow' the smell away but boy, it sure did get on my chest and I only ever used half doses.

So Lads & Lassies ... what suggestions can you give me?

The criteria is ...
Got to be cheap, and I mean cheap, some of the stuff on them shelves is at silly prices for 8 washes? :confused:

NO smell, if that is at all possible ... coal-tar soap I like, but these washing powders/liquids really do get on my chest.

30 washes to the Litre, at least, is that possible?

... and what the hell is the difference between Bio or Non-Bio ?????

:)

muckshifter

Reaction score
LoL ... Never thought I'd see someone reviewing Washing Powder ... but then, it is basically what I'm asking.

laughingsmiley.gif
:thumb:

Not trying to make any bones here, but, Tesco is out of my reach and no, I ain't buying 'online' or I'd never get out of this Hovel.

We have, you may be surprised to know, an Asda, Sainsbury's, Waitrose, Morriston & the local Marks & Sparks do a nice range for one-person-pots, not bad prices either. ;) But Tesco requires a car, I don't drive no more and it's a wee bit too far out for the Mobility Shop electric carties ... as I have mentioned before, shopping in Southport is very good.

Still laughing at that 'review' though ... great find. :D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
He he....

You could try Fairy non Bio sensitive...That hasn't got much of a smell to it Muck's...But it could be just out of your price range and your definitely not gonna get 30 washes to the litre...

That goes for any liquid for washing machines unless you measure it in there by the tea spoonful...:D

On the other hand you could go the other way entirely and try Linux Liquitabs by bold...there just a bit of a bugger to install and configure thats all...:D :lol: Sorry Muck's had to get that one in...;)

Reaction score
Lidl 50/70 washes for £4:nod: no itchy! no smellie! just clean clothes thats it:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I use Aerial Biological tablets. Two tablets per wash.

Buy 'em bulk at Makros, two boxes together costs about £11.50 and gives me 64 washes.

Virtually no smell and they do clean well, even at low temps.

I've been using those for about 4 years now.

Gordon Bennet, I sound like a housewife.....

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yeah can you believe flopp's all men have answered this thread no women...I think the role reversal thing is going a bit too far....:D

Either that or theres so many single men out there doing there own washing just like me....
nod.gif

Ps I use Ariel Liqi bubbles as well and they are the nuts i must admit...20 washes for £3.88

Last edited:
Reaction score
Great title

Just dropped my apple on the floor reading the title! ;)

But you have brought up an interesting subject, i buy persil non-bio & comfort smellie thing liquid, mainly as my Mum uses it, so i think it must be OK?:blush:

Great title though, must be the best title for any thread:bow:
And you may have given me a few ideas for new crunching ad's;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
On the other hand you could go the other way entirely and try Linux Liquitabs by bold...

You can get Linux washing powerder! (honestly) - I've seen it in Germany ;) A quick google brought this pic :

240px-Linux.vollwaschmittel.jpg

We use Tesco's own brand usually - although Sainsburys sometimes have good offers on other ones so we just get what seems best at the time. As there is one near, see if there is a good offer on next time you're in :thumb:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Nice Ian nice.....:thumb:

Theres always an alternative out there eh....

It's a good job Torvalds isn't like old Billy boy or he would close them down and sue there a**es off...Anyone wanna help me reverse engineer some of the componenets in washing powder...:D

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
It is a little surprising we ain't heard from the Girls around here, innit. ;)

OK chaps, food for thought here and some good suggestions ... I have someone who goes to Germany on a regular visit ... I just have to have some of that Linux. OH Yes!!
nod.gif

I can't believe I'm looking at that link Chris ... buy Persil on EBay, you must be kidding me.
laughingsmiley.gif

So, one question still remains ... what is the difference between Bio & Non-Bio then?

Is powder cheaper 'cos its more messy??

May just bung the cloths in and not bother with any soap ... :p

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
All soap powders are detergents which contain surfactants which a water loving and water hating site so that most things that won’t dissolve/mix with water (i.e. oil) will dissolve when mixed with water containing surfactants.

Biological washing powder have added enzymes which are biological compounds that can break down compounds many enzymes are present in the body and do just that break stuff down. Enzymes in washing powder are an added bonus because they can help break down stubborn stains etc in to manageable pieces making it easier for them to dissolve leading to a better wash. This makes the most difference at low temperatures where no bio washing powders aren’t always as effective.

How ever bio washing powders can cause irritation to people with sensitive skin, this doesn’t mean that no bio powders are always better specially formulated powder that some companies produce are more certain to not cause irritation.

The difference between no bio and bio in terms of washing ability is not that much now days as both types have been developed to a point of being nearly indistinguishable best to decide which washing powder to use is trial and error

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060628083640AApc7pA

muckshifter

Reaction score
ha, there we are then ... no need to use washing powder. :)

:D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Well chaps, you seem to have this sussed, but for what it's worth - and just to give you the girlie perspective :) I use Fairy non-bio. I've tried other brands over the years, including bios and cheapies, but find Fairy to be very efficient and quite economical. You don't need to use so much of it to achieve really good results, so I'm giving it my vote :D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
and just to give you the girlie perspective :) I use Fairy non-bio. I've tried other brands over the years, including bios and cheapies, but find Fairy to be very efficient and quite economical

I rest my case....4th post down....:D

muckshifter

Reaction score
Fairy ... 2 votes ... come to think on it, I will only buy Fairy washing-up liquid.

Will give it a go ... thanks all. :thumb:

user.gif

Reaction score
I use Persil Colour Care mate, its good, comes with a free plastic ball, you just fill that a third of the way up and chuck it in the machine with your clothes.

One thing to remember, and this is important, once the wash has finished, get it hung up asap. If you leave the clothes wet in a pile for two long you get a really foul smell.

Jeez, i sound like a woman!! ;-)

Ask a Question