Water/Liquid Cooling

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hey yall!

Anyone use Water Cooling???

Haven't messed around with my PC in like 2 days so have been researching Water/Liquid Cooling, it looks easy enough to setup and shows some good results.

I have the XClio A380+ case, so plenty of room,

Was thinking of getting it all from overclockers and probably spending about £200 on it, £50 0f that is for a graphics card waterblock, not cheap.

Was looking at the XSPC stuff as it has got some good reviews and isn't too exspensive.

Will be looking at cooling the CPU, Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz and 1 Graphics Card.

Graphics Card will more than likely be a HD4870 or GTX260 as i'm want more power damn it!!!!

At the mo looking at a dual 5.25 bay reservoir and silent pump and a 240mm radiator.

Any ideas or suggestions very welcome.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hey,

Have been reading up on it and its super safe, as long as your not a complete idiot putting it together.

Am gonna get a HD4870 and don't want it cooking at 90 degrees in me case, so i thought i would protect my investment and add some extra cooling.

I know its exspensive but i think once i buy the initial parts then i only need to change blocks as i upgrade the VGA.

Plus the missus is on about starting a family next year so i need to spend as much money on boys toys as i can at the moment.

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Plus the missus is on about starting a family next year so i need to spend as much money on boys toys as i can at the moment.

There's always away around woman when it comes to boys toys..Trust me on this one...lol:lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hmm, as I recall, other posts said you were gonna have a crap C*mas cos some punk on E-Bay ripped you off.

£200.00 on watercooling just to shave a few degrees off CPU temp?

Four Glastonbury tickets?

Glastonbury is great, I'd been going since '81. Unless it rains of course, then it hell on earth.

Get your priorities right.

Water cooling is a luxury.

Children's C*mas presents are not a luxury, they're a neccessity.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hey Flopps,

The Missus is gonna have a bleak X*as as she cost me £120 on ebay
laughingsmiley.gif

She has gotten me 4 Glastonbury tickets as her friend works at seetickets so will only pay for 2, still £350 though, i have never been to Glastonbury, always wanted to go but never really had the chance, she knows this so splashed the cash.

With regards to x*as presents for kiddies, i'm confused as to what you mean, i've done most of my xmas shopping.

Yes it is a luxury but at 28 i'm finding life to be quite good at the moment, got a new job with a good pay rise, quit smoking, have a company car so it doesn't cost me anything, the missus moved to teach at a closer school so that saves £220 on petrol for her a month, we moved in together when i left the army so only one set of bills.

I seem to recall yourself in a thread saying that if you or your mates want something then you will go and get it, well i want watercooling for my PC so i will have it.

I was after help or advice on selecting parts for the PC, not on how to run my life.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm really interested to see how this turns out :) How far do you think you'll be able to get your Q6600 (I think Ady is at 3.4 on air at the moment)?

I don't know too much about watercooling PCs specifically, but if you want some longevity from the kit it might be worth ensuring you get a good radiator if you are planning to cool more items in the future (i.e. Ram, Chipset or just hotter upgrades in the future).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
I was after help or advice on selecting parts for the PC, not on how to run my life.

Advice noted.

Waynos_Face said:
Oh well thats half of the x*as money i had put aside for the missus anyway. Looks like a bleak x*as for her at the moment.

When I first read this you had my sympathy, I even considered having a whip-round to make sure your C*mas would be good. And yes, I did misunderstand your C*mas cash dilemma, sorry about that, you obviously meant your other half only and that probably in a light hearted manner.

Then I see this thread about spending £200.00 on water cooling followed by this:

Waynos_Face said:
Yes it is a luxury but at 28 i'm finding life to be quite good at the moment, got a new job with a good pay rise, quit smoking, have a company car so it doesn't cost me anything, the missus moved to teach at a closer school so that saves £220 on petrol for her a month, we moved in together when i left the army so only one set of bills.

You are clearly a wealthy man.

I'm sorry if I caused you offence, rest assured I certainly won't in the future, I won't comment on anything concerning you in the future, for fear of being rebuked again.

Good luck with the water cooling.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,

Don't think i'm wealthy, richer than some, poorer than some i guess and no offence taken mate.

Anywho, heres what i have come up with,

1 x 240mm Radiator
1 x 120mm Radiator
1 x Dual Reservoir & Pump
3 x Silent Fans

Haven't decided on what waterblocks to actually use, this is where i am stuck, the blocks for the graphics card are proving to be quite hard to find reviews for and theres only a couple to choose from.

Heres a crappy sketch i did on paint, water flow will be anti-clockwise.

Attachments

• WaterCooling.jpg
    WaterCooling.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 248

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Was looking at this last night, then had another look this morning and its a tenner cheaper.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-040-XS

Was gonna go for something a little bigger but this is too cheap really, read some good reviews, the pump and reservoir will easily do a CPU and Graphics Card + Chipset.

Am gonna stick it in my media centre in the living room first and see how it does.

The Kit with 2 litres of coolant comes to £86, alot less than what i was planning.

Add to that a Graphics block for £35 and an another 120mm Radiator for £20, comes to £140.

When i was happy to spend £200 then thats a bargain i think.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm even more interested to see how this turns out now :nod:

Would you be able to take some pics of it installed once it all arrives? :) (which reminds me, I need to take some pics I promised for the iPhone thread! :blush: )

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Have ordered it, with some purple coolant, i didn't get the extra reservoir or radiator yet.

Got a chipset block instead.

Still having real trouble finding a graphics card block.

It will be for a 9800GT, however i have the Gigabyte Sonic version with the RED PCB and from what i read its the size of a 9600GT and not a 9800GT, is 1 inch shorter.

So i think just a water block and not a whole card block will suffice as i have RAM sinks.

Any ideas??

Reaction score
feckit said:
Water inside a PC!:eek:
What if it leaks!!

Not a lot would appen really other than a bit of a mess inside your PC..The liquid is non conductive non currosive so wouldn't cause any damage to mobo etc...

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
feckit said:
Water inside a PC!:eek:
What if it leaks!!

Am gonna build it outside the PC first and leave it running for a day first to check leaks.

It arrives tomorrow and i have got some compression clips just incase the supplied parts aren't upto scratch.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Has arrived, all looks to be well made, is gonna take sometime to put it together as its my first time :lol:.

Hopefully will have some pics later.

Will have a Freezer 7 Pro for sale so check the for sale if you want 1.

Reaction score
Cool, looking forward to seeing the pics. I've always wanted Water Cooling, but at the moment, just standard air cooling works fine lol

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Well i managed to unpack it all without any disaster, i need to remove the motherboard so its gonna take some time, have to work all this weekend so fingers crossed it will be next week sometime.

Well here are the water blocks and the radiator, for some reason its stopped letting me upload pictures again.

The big block is for the cpu, little un for chipset.

Attachments

• Rad.JPG
    Rad.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 147
  • blocks.JPG
    blocks.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 232

Ask a Question