Want a new digi camera but dont want to break the bank

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
I would lie to buy a new digital camera. It doens thave to be anything fancy.special and it dont need to be able to do a million things that i will never use. In a perfect world i would like to spend no more than £120 with £150 the absolute max but i would also like to be able to buy a decent sized memory card into that budget. I have been reading some things and the brands that everyone seems to be talking about is cannon and Nikon. Both of those comapnies have a few cameras in the price range that i am looking at with both of them having a mode or two in the £100 range. So does anybody have any reccomendations on what i should get?? I have been looking at Amazon and pixmania they both seem to have the best prices and I have used both of them in the past and they have been faultless. So any advice would be highly appreciated :thumb:

thanks in advance,
Chelseafc2005

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I think, really, only choice you have is Nikon 5600.

Whether £150.00 will cover accessories (at least 512Mb SD card; rechargeable batts {camera takes 2 x AA cells}; battery charger; case) is another matter.

Anything lower really ain't too clever.

You can get an olympus, fuji, sony, whatever below that price but we're talking minimum acceptable quality here.

Your choice :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
PS:

Here's a link: Link

My daughter has this camera, pix are superb.

Only downpoint is flash takes a good 4 seconds to recharge, but for the price, imo, best there is.

Reaction score
I think the L3 is the replacement for the 5600 - its pretty similar but with WiFi instead of an optical viewfinder.

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
ok i can get the nikon l3 over at pixmania for £114

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/225990/art/nikon/coolpix-l3-black.html

Is that a good price? and does anybody actually own this camera? because i have seen some quite negative things about the flash and how long it takes to recharge. Also there are a few cannons at pixmania here are the links

cannon powershot a530 £115
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/226653/art/canon/powershot-a530.html

cannon powershot a430 £99
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/226652/art/canon/powershot-a430-silver.html

cannon powershot a530 power plus £139 (includes batteries, Charger, NiMH batteries, SD Card 16 Mb)

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/226654/art/canon/powershot-a530-powerplus.html

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That last one's kinda custom made for you isn't it?

After adding postage cost it's still under £150.00 and you'll have a 1 Gig memory card; batts & charger; card reader & case.

I'd go for that.

I have the Canon A80 Powershot, it's a similar size and I'm happy with it.

If you don't mind the A530 being a little bigger than it's peers, I'd go for the package deal. It's bigger, btw, cos it takes 4 AA batteries. Which means it's power lasts longer than those which take two AA batteries.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I would sincerely advise you to pick up something from the offerings from Nikon or Canon, there are some good models to choose from. Canon's "A" series of cameras are tried and trusted and so is the Coolpix line from Nikon. You just cannot go wrong. The proof of it is right here on this forum if you browse this section and see the recommendations and final decisions made be members.

Reaction score
Nikon D50 ;)

No seriously - those little canons are very good.

What about the Canon Powershot A620? is that in budget?

My friend who i go out photographing with has one - and it frequently is able to take better photos due to the ability of the lens to focus on something its touching :)

http://minimexicola.deviantart.com/gallery have a look there for some sample pictures, they are impressive.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
What about the Canon Powershot A620? is that in budget?

NO it is not in budget. It is also not a good idea to hijack the thread with irrelevent posts. If you wanna help suggest something with a card with the budget of £150 and no more as this is what the BUDGET is!

Reaction score
Quad - looked at the price and its only £20 more - and sometimes people appreciate knowing what they can get for a little bit more as they might end up kicking themselves if they find out after buying something.

Granted i missed the bit about having to have a card for that... but a 1gig card is only £12 aparently.

Peace

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
You could have asked the original poster.

Everyone knows more money will get them a better camera, but, do they really want to spend that much more? Budget may not be an important consideration for you but to many it is and we must respect them rather than tease them with something they cannot afford.

Reaction score
I did not mean it to be like that - budget is very important to me, but if something is say... twenny quid more and better, i'd buy that, or save up for it. But i guess thats just me.

Sorry if i offended you. Im off to work.

Chris

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
after looking for a month or so and doing some of my own research i think i might go for the conon powershot a620 it is 142 from here SO including delivery and a 1gb card i think i can get that for just under 170. It is just a bit over the top end of my budget but i will save up for a little while so i can get that. unless.. i see on pixmania that they have some cannon pixmas at around 170 now i know a few people who own them andf they are very nice cameras. between the cannon pixma 60 and the powershot a620 which one do you think would be better??

thanks
chelseafc2005

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
One of the best 'researchers' for anything photographic on this forum is our Quad ... commands a great deal of respect in his own right outside this forum too. :thumb:

I'm pleased we can call on his expertise in looking for a camera, no matter what your budget, and I don't think you'll be disappointed with his offerings.

;)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
chelseafc2005 said:
In a perfect world i would like to spend no more than £120 with £150 the absolute max but i would also like to be able to buy a decent sized memory card into that budget.

Thanks for moving the goal post :D

Ask a Question