Good Digi camera to buy?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for a Digi camera under £125,

It needs to be 1600X1200 (or more) What Mega Pixcel do you reccomend? 4/5MP?

would be good if it can charge from the USB drive - is this possible?

can store over 100 Photo's high quality

Any reccomendations?

Thanks,

KGB

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
KGB,

You say under £125 and you also want 4/5mp which in my opinion is a tall order, mate! You either have to increase your budget or lower your expectations of the MP's offered in a camera. There are cameras out there which are under 125 and offer maybe 5 or even more MP's but the quality will be below average. I would not recommend that.

A 3.2 MP camera will give you good resolution and certainly much higher than 1600x1200 you expect. If you do not want to print anything higher than 5x7, a 3.2 MP camera is more than enough for your needs. It will give you high quality 5x7 and average quality 8x10 prints. If printing is not on your agenda, even a 2 MP camera will be good for most type of photography.

Check out Nikon, Canon and Pentax in your budget and come back with a short list and we will debate over which one is more suitable for you.

If you want 100 high quality pics storage than for a 3.2 Mp camera you need a full 1 GB memory card the likes of Sandisk or Lexar, at approx £70-90, the choice is yours.

You will also need a pouch to protect your camera and a spare set of batteries. Rechargable batteries are a bit dearer but worth every penny of your ( your dad's) hard earned money.

Do a bit of search based on my guidelines and what you personally like in terms of looks and your budget.

Since I am in the middle of shifting to a new abode, I may not be responding as quickly as I usually do but I sure will get back to you time permitting.

Reaction score
Thanks for your advise. i think i will look into the 3.2MP, i am looking fro something that i can take a photo, and will be great quality to set it as my desktop background (just an example) (1400 x 1050)

I was not looking for one to print, just one to store on my PC.

It is my money (well, the money i get for xmas)

I'll have a look around, and post the results

Thanks,

KGB

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Your list does not include any Pentax or Nikon! Why????? Check them out before you commit yourself to that Kodak.

Reaction score
No Pentax or Nikon, because only a couple of them fit by buget, and i don't really like the one's that do!

I searched through both of there websites and only found 2 Pentax ones that fit my buget, but not the spec's.

KGB

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
KGB,

From the list you provide if I were to select one for myself I would go for the Canon A400 without batting an eyelid based on my study of all the cameras you shortlisted for good one hour.

Some in the list I would not like to own even if they were given free to me. However, I will refrain from mentioning the models and brands.

If there is a debate on this thread based on the ones listed, I will not participate in it since I have given my final verdict. However, if you come across something else which is not in the list, I will give my opinion if needed.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Second vote for the Canon A400.

Based on reviews, my own experience and Quad's advice, I'd really only consider Canon and Nikon as purchases.

Not sure about Pentax, I used to have one of their SLR's years ago, it was really good, but I don't really know what their digital range is like.

One thing, KGB, I would really listen to advice here, or you could buy a complete turkey.

I would choose a quality brand 2.0 megapixel camera over a 3 or 4 mp lesser brand. The lens and functions are important to consider, not just the resolution.

A 2mp camera would give you an excellent desktop picture.

Reaction score
OK, heading off to Jessops tomorrow to have a good look at some cameras.

I have been strongly advised to only go for camera makes, I.e. Canon (a lot of people think canon are good, including you guys, so i am looking at getting one) not something like Samsung.

Also, my budget has raised to £250! - £30 (512MB SD card) £10 (case) £15 (Card reader for PC)

So, i have about £200 for the camera itself

Jessop's sale starts Monday...

KGB

Reaction score
Also i have been advised NOT to go for Kodak unless it's life or death! Anyone else agrees with this?

KGB

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
So, i have about £200 for the camera itself

Jessop's sale starts Monday...

KGB
I am back since you changed your budget!

Consider following models as they are some of the best ones out there:

Nikon Coolpix 3200, 3700, 4200

Canon A75, A85, A95

Above camera will give you excellent quality and are very well reviewed as well.

I have not done a price check so please see which ones fall in the budget while the sale is on. Buy the hihger model if you can closer to the £200 mark and you should be OK. I have recommended these models to scores of people and everyone is happy.

I hope you pick the best model within your budget.

DO NOT TAKE THE SALESMANS ADVISE! (when you select the model)

Reaction score
Thank you Quad! I will run a price check on them, and have a look at some specs'

Thanks,

KGB

Reaction score
Coolpix:

3200 = £120
3700 = £180
4200 = £180 (again)

Canon:

A75 = £150
A85 = £150 (again)
A95 = £200 - £210

So, most of them are in my price range, and could streach to the Canon A95, which one is better out of the Canon, or Nikon (most expensive one)

KGB

EDIT: I really like the look of the 5MP Canon A95

Last edited:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
EDIT: I really like the look of the 5MP Canon A95
Since you like it that is the most important thing, go for it! :)

My friend got the same one last week on my recommendation and he is very happy with it.

Come back and let us know what was your final decision.

Reaction score
Thanks Quad, I am still going out to look at them in the shops, just to get the feel of the camera, but, that one still looks like the one i want!

By the way, who made this thread a sticky?

Thanks everyone for all your help :D

KGB

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
By the way, who made this thread a sticky?
I did :D

Allow me to explain why I did it.

1) I have a habit of sticking particular threads if it is on a subject which is what most people are interested in when trying to shop around.

2) Threads like this one will not remain a sticky after certain time has passed and also after the models are phased out and new ones are available for replacement.

3) Couple of months back I had stuck a thread about my opinion on a best deal under 100 quid, which now is no longer valid as the particular model of digicam is discontinuted and new models have taken its place.

4) If these kind of threads are stuck and unstuck periodically we can avoid duplication of posts and also minimise confusion when new members are looking for information.

KGB, what do you think? Is this a good thing in your opinion or not? Anyone else like to comment?

Ask a Question