New camera

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Some of you know I lost my gear to burglary and had not come around to going back to buying a few $,$$$ dollars worth of equipment. Besides I was trying to settle down.

I had been looking at various cheaper options to get started as quickly as possible without having to spend a fortune at this stage. I decided to get back and bought meself a small but nice little camera which suits my style of photography, low-light, landscapes, candid, still life, travel etc, those kind of subjects.

It will arrive on the 7th and I may test it out on the weekend if possible and time permitting.

My criteria for the decision to go for this one was.

• Highest quality lens in a compact
  • fastest lens possible
  • Fastest shutter speed in a compact
  • largest sensor
  • RAW+Jpeg option
  • Full manual control
  • Bulb option (it does not have it but with new firmware it can do 250 second exposure which is OK with me)
  • a great back up camera for a DSLR (which I will get in future)
  • Low noise at high ISO
Here is the price link and a review

:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Looks great Quad, look forward to seeing a few pix and you letting us know what you think of it.

I drew up a list of very similar Crieria when I bought my compact Canon G9 a few years back, similar price as well.

That Lumix looks smaller than my Canon though. I do hear great things about the Leica lenses Panasonic use.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
It was after great deliberation that I decided on the LX5. They have come out with the new firmware in September which has improved upon many things.

My card was charged today by Amazon so the shipment must be on its way. Can't wait to get it and play with it. I'll do my best to get out on Saturday and do a shoot. Will post images for you all to see.

Here are some great shots taken on the LX5 by a Professional

http://www.panasonic.net/avc/lumix/popup/lx5_gallery/iceland/index.html

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I just got the email from Amazon informing me that the camera has been shipped and the ETA would be Tuesday. Original ETA was for Wednesday. :)

Reaction score
:thumb: Whopee new camera on its way Quad good luck with it and hope to see some picts on the site later when you have got used to it. Sorry to hear about the break in and theft of your property though, hope you have got over the ordeal.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Yes very much looking forward to it!

The burglary took place a while back and I have finally gotten over it. Have to move on. :nod:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
That's a lovely looking camera Quad, I hope you will get lots of pleasure and enjoyment from it. Like everyone else, I am very much looking forward to seeing your pics soon :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
That's a lovely looking camera Quad, I hope you will get lots of pleasure and enjoyment from it. Like everyone else, I am very much looking forward to seeing your pics soon :D

:bow:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
@ Quad - I took a look through the photos you linked to above before turning-in last night. They are quite something - the location is wonderful, but so are the photos, which really capture the amazing landscapes. Absolutely super. :nod: :thumb:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I'm so pleased to hear you will be getting back into photography! Those photos taken by the professional are excellent, it seems like a great little camera.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I guess I have to shoot to come up to your expectations now that you guys have seen the pro's shoot I put a link to. :D

I will do my best in the surroundings I am in and will take any opportunity that comes my way to do better shoots in the weeks and months to come. I also need to experiment with the little camera to know how it works for me and how I can tailor it to my liking.Let's see how things unfold.

Tomorrow I will get it when I get back home from work. :dance:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Looks like you'll be taking some great pics with that camera Quad. Happy snapping. :thumb:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Very nice camera quad

Look forward to seeing some pics when you have the time to post some up, the f2.0 lens looks to be very nice for low light shots.

Ask a Question