New Camera Advice Please...

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ok, so at the moment i have a Panasonic TZ10. Its not a bad camera, but it is getting a little older now, and i'd like a new one that does 1080p video etc. with a few more features and such.

I'm looking for something similar, a point and shoot, or maybe a CSC? But i don't know what's good and what not with regards to them if i'm honest....

Looking at around the £250 mark this is what i've seen so far....

Olympus SZ-31MR Digital Compact Camera - Black (16MP, 24x Wide Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch Touch Panel LCD

or

Panasonic DMC-TZ30EB-K Compact Camera - Black (14.1MP, 20x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD

Anyone have any other options i should look at?

Thanks. :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I've had a Panasonic for years (DMC FZ18) and never had any problems with it - it's been a great camera. How are you going to be using the camera? eg wildlife, people, etc?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Agreed - you'll probably regret not getting a better zoom.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah that Sony is the favourite at the mo i think. I think i read that yesterday Ian, but will read again as I've read so many reviews now they have kinda blurred into one! :lol:

Where Mr Quad when you need him!? :bow:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Yeah that Sony is the favourite at the mo i think. I think i read that yesterday Ian, but will read again as I've read so many reviews now they have kinda blurred into one! :lol:

Where Mr Quad when you need him!? :bow:

Did you rub the lamp?:)

I will give my input when I am back home.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Excellent, Thanks Quad. :bow:

I'm off to Duxford Air Show next weekend, all being well.... So would like it for then if possible.... But i'd rather take my time and buy the best one than the first one i clapped eyes on. :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Of all the camera's mentioned in this thread my personal preference would be the Panny. V_R let me know why you would not choose it so that we can discuss the pros and cons of it compared to others. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No real reason at all to be honest, after all i have the Panny TZ10 at the mo so it will be an easy upgrade. I am just looking into my other options. :)

Is there any other models out there you can think of that i should look at? Max budget of ~£250 if possible, unless its very special. :D

EDIT: One thing i dont think the TZ30 does which could be a bonus, but by no means a deal breaker is the ability to shoot pictures whilst recording a video.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I am away from the computer. I will be back home in the evening and will give you my detailed input. Meanwhile take a look at the Panny LX-7. I know it is expensive but it is one of the best point and ahoots out there. I have a lot on my mind but I am handicapped when I have to post messages to the from from the stupid android phone.:mad:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No worries Quad, i know what you mean posting from a phone isn't always convenient. :)

I actually did look at the LX-7 (and the Sony RX100! :drool: )

As i understand it they are both amazing compact cameras, but What puts me off is the lack of zoom, and of course the price tag... :/

I just feel i will miss the zoom, the TZ10 i have at the mo is 12x Optical and that has come in handy a good few times.. I cant help but think i'll miss it if i go back to a camera with 'only' x3 or x5 like the Canon S100 or the Olympus XZ-1. Even though i know both are very good cameras.

Is that a crazy way to think!? :blush:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Is that a crazy way to think!? :blush:

If you are not crazy enough, you cannot possibly be passionate about it so I'd say we both are in the same boat so to say :lol:

I can understand your predicament as far as missing the zoom is concerned. Since the travel zoom camera is what you are essentially looking at and you have a certain budget, it would be a no brainer picking up the Panny, it is a great camera and above all offers a superb lens to go with it.

If you concentrate on the "cons" instead of the "pros" of the cameras you are considering you will have an answer much quicker as which camera is more suited to your needs. This is a very odd way of an approach to buying the camera but it is a far better way for avoiding the shortcomings of any electronics not just the camera. I hope I am able to explain this point clearly, if not let me know.

Besides the specs and features in a particular camera I also see the history behind a certain model/series and I also keep in mind the quality control issues that plague the manufacturers. Therefore, for all practical purposes and based on my research findings on a constant basis, currently and for the last two years or so Panny in my opinion comes on top when it comes to point and shoot cameras. Of course this is my opinion and mine alone and anyone can differ in their assessment of the current market.

You already know I had bought the LX-5 last December. :nod:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Of all the camera's mentioned in this thread my personal preference would be the Panny. V_R let me know why you would not choose it so that we can discuss the pros and cons of it compared to others. :)
Forgot to ask, Out of interest, why would you choose the TZ30? :)

EDIT: Great minds, we posted at the same time. :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Forgot to ask, Out of interest, why would you choose the TZ30? :)

EDIT: Great minds, we posted at the same time. :)

Before you pull the trigger let me lnow if you need more info or wish to discuss certain issues

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
There was a trader on ebay selling the TZ30 for £199.99 delivered but has just put his prices up to £219.99 now!
Although my decision would be to go with Amazon for piece of mind and warranty..

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
There was a trader on ebay selling the TZ30 for £199.99 delivered but has just put his prices up to £219.99 now!
Although my decision would be to go with Amazon for piece of mind and warranty..

Buying from Amazon is always a wise choice.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Cheers Quad.

At the moment the way i see it its a toss up between the Sony DSC-HX20V and the Panasonic TZ30.....

I read a review for the Panny, i like it, i read a review for the Sony, i change my mind. lol

So far, i think, the Sonys just edging it. Just. Due to the multi recording, better battery and a few other features....

But you saying the TZ30 carries some weight, as i know you knwo your stuff. :)

Hmmm, i need to actually get them both in my hands i think.....

Ask a Question