Buying a new Camera - Lumix DMC-FZ18?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm looking round for a new camera, as both Bex and myself are using on phones for the camera at the moment. Normally I'd go for a small point and shoot, but as Bex wants to get in to photography as a hobby after her training finishes a DSLR would make more sense.

So... as a compromise I've been looking at DSLR-like cameras, ones that can act as a point and shoot or use some of the more advanced DSLR tools when needed. I know it wouldn't be anywhere near as good as a DSLR, but it would act as a bridge to learn how to use a camera properly and be small enough to take on holiday and use as an every day camera.

I'm looking at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 as it seems to tick all of the boxes for an all-rounder, and it has the 18x optical zoom which will be ideal for geting photos that are out of reach at the moment.

There's a review of this and 2 other similar cameras in a roundup here :
http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/4836/shootout-18x-evf-superzooms.html

It comes out on top, but it's fairly expensive at around £225 - but it should last for a while (I hope!).

Has anyone had experience with this camera (or similar ones)? I'm guessing not as there are 1000's of cameras out there, but you never know :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
18x digital zoom which will be ideal for getting photos that are out of reach at the moment.
NOPE! it will not, stay away from digital ... OPTICAL is what you meant to say. ;)

Don't get carried away with that either, they love to quote gobeldygook ... sorry, you cannot 'compare' a fixed lens camera to a proper DSLR, with interchangeable lenses.

But hey! I get good pics from me Fuji ... it's just no good, even @ 10x optical zoom (300mm or there abouts supposedly), to get anywhere near a proper DSLR. :D

Is why the pros call these 'bridge' cameras. :lol:

Did you look at the Fuji range? say the Finepix S9600. :thumb:

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've now had 4 digicams.

I swear the best one was the first one I ever bought, a Canon A40 I think it was, 2.1 megapixel; 3 x optical zoom and it took 4 x AA batteries.

Sold that to Chris Postill cheapo, no wonder he was happy with it.

My current Nikon S500, a Canon Ixus and a Canon A80, all around 7mp, honestly don't take such good pix.

There is more to cameras than megapixels. I honestly think the lens quality matters more. And that's why I commented on Mucks' Fuji Camera. It's good.

Just my experience :)

And yes, digital zoom is a waste of time really, it's the same as zooming in on a pic in Photoshop, it just gets grainer. Optical zoom is real lens movement.

I also think those fixed lens cameras that look like DSLR's are something of a con. You may as well just get a small compact, same result ;)

There's a guy over at the Hexus Forum sellling a Nikon D40X with standard lens and carry bag for £320.00 atm, the last time I looked. That's the same camera I have but I have two lenses and some other accessories.

He hasn't sold it yet, I figure you could get it for £280.00 or so if you haggled.

But there again, it may be physically too big for your needs, travelling abroad and stuff.

Cracking camera though, I'm still learning how to use mine and I've had it since June, but that's laziness on my part I think.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I got the Powershot S1 IS and the pics it takes are darn good . Has loads of settings and bits to fiddle with , the manual is 120 pages long .The movie mode on this series is great and they use AA batteries . If I was to get another camera I'd seriously consider the Powershot S3 IS or the S5 IS .
Can you tell I'm a fan .

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/canon_s5is_pg6.html

The reviews on the site are well worth a good look at . When I was looking for a camera I called in four shops looking at cameras in real life as opposed to cyber looking on line . As I got chatting to the sales folk they all told me that they used StevesDigicams and thought it was one of the best sites around .

happywave.gif

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
It is a wonderful camera with superb optics, one of the best super zooms out there. If I had a need for a super zoom I would be very happy to settle for this one.

The 28 mm wide angle capability of this camera is particularly noteworthy, Panasonic surely have got their act together with Leica in this important aspect of photo taking capability. Canon has the widest aperture at 36 mm in terms of 35 mm photography an average wide angle to say the least. The 28 mm capability Panasonic will come in extremely handy when shooting landscapes and interior shots in places with not enough room to maneuver.

When considering memory, do keep Sandisk on top of your list with a 2GB size as minimum, add one more to your kit later. Extreme III types are very good.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
NOPE! it will not, stay away from digital ... OPTICAL is what you meant to say. ;)

Did you look at the Fuji range? say the Finepix S9600. :thumb:

I'm glad you knew what I meant, I don't know why I put digital :lol:

The S9600 was actually the first camera I had on my list, as it looked like a good compromise for a DSLR (and the price isn't too bad). The Zoom and OIS swayed me to the FZ18, as there are so many times that the better zoom would come in handy and it means I wouldn't need any extra lenses. I don't think I'd make full use of a DSLR camera for some time, so the FX18 seemed like a better bridge camera for the zoom feature. I'm going to take a look at both in the flesh though (and perhaps the S8000fd) :thumb:

Abarbarian said:
The reviews on the site are well worth a good look at . When I was looking for a camera I called in four shops looking at cameras in real life as opposed to cyber looking on line . As I got chatting to the sales folk they all told me that they used StevesDigicams and thought it was one of the best sites around .

I'm going to head into the shops today and have a look at the selection of cameras, as that way I can get a feel for what it's like - and maybe have a play :nod:

floppybootstomp said:
I swear the best one was the first one I ever bought, a Canon A40 I think it was, 2.1 megapixel; 3 x optical zoom and it took 4 x AA batteries.
But there again, it may be physically too big for your needs, traveling abroad and stuff.

One of my best makes has had the A40 for years and still uses it for everything to this day, he swears by it :thumb:

I'll have a look at the camera you suggest on the Hexus forums (I'm guessing its a DSLR?), but if it's big then it would rule it out unfortunately. The main use of the camera would probably be when we're abroad, so it has to be easy to carry round everywhere - but better than a standard point and shoot. If I get "bug" and start to need something better than the bridge camera then I would upgrade in a few years - but at the moment I've got a long way to reach that stage ;)

Quadophile said:
It is a wonderful camera with superb optics, one of the best super zooms out there. If I had a need for a super zoom I would be very happy to settle for this one.

When considering memory, do keep Sandisk on top of your list with a 2GB size as minimum, add one more to your kit later. Extreme III types are very good.

Good to see you Quad :D I'm glad the FZ18 gets the thumbs up :) I'm going to take a look at some of the other options in the shops today just to confirm in my head which one I'm going to go for, but I'm quite keen on the FZ18 from what I've read so far :)

As long as the price is reasonable then I think I'll get a 4GB card, as if we're on holiday I think we'll use up storage space quite quickly without being able to download from the camera. I'll see how much the Sandisk Extreme III is today :thumb:

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I'm looking round for a new camera, as both Bex and myself are using on phones for the camera at the moment.
I have found my Nokia6300 does the job for me.:blush:
But have played recently with my Dad's Digi Camera, may have to post the pics sometime.:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Good to see you back Quad :)

I have a 2Gb Sandisk Extreme III card and also a 2Gb Sandisk Extreme II card.

When I speed-shoot the III card keeps up with the camera wheras the II card slows down after about five frames.

£24.00 for a 4Gb at Amazon: Link

It would appear my assessment of the different types of camera was not entirely accurate and in fact the type you're after does offer significant advantages over a point and shoot. Sorry bout dat, but that's what I thought :blush:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You ain't far wrong Flops, these 'bridge' cameras are really point-n-shoot, however, they do allow for some very good manual modes like real D-SLRs ... I still think I got a bargain. :thumb:

When I was looking for a camera I called in four shops looking at cameras in real life as opposed to cyber looking on line.
Excellent point :thumb: ... looking on-line is great to have a look and see what you may like AND to fit your pocket. I too did the same, only my pocket is very small. :D

For my particular wants, bird watching, my Fuji is great, at close quarters ... anything over 20ft and the pic will need cropping, destroys some of the detail then.

Ian, if Quad has given the thumbs up, I ain't gonna argue, it is nice to get an experts view ... nothing beats actually "playing" with the camera though.

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but I got a new toy today. :D

:user:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Went into Jessops for a gander at it, and it looks very nice - although it was £50 more in store than some online sites so I think I'll order it all online.

I'm hoping it will all arrive on the Tuesday so I can have a good play with it :nod:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
As long as the price is reasonable then I think I'll get a 4GB card, as if we're on holiday I think we'll use up storage space quite quickly without being able to download from the camera. I'll see how much the Sandisk Extreme III is today :thumb:

Understanding the needs of memory is an important thing, once you determine what your needs are simply divide it into two. If you think you need 8 GB get two 4GB ones if the need is 4 GB get two 2GB ones. When travelling things can go wrong and you may be without a memory card altogether or you loose a load of memories which cannot be salvaged.

Tis is not my personal opinion only but the general consensus of most of the the photographers.

If you think the 4 GB is a good buy by all means go for it and add another one later, the choice is yours.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Sounds really good.

Good luck with your purchase, let us know what you finally get and don't to write a review on the new camera.:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Sounds really good.

Good luck with your purchase, let us know what you finally get and don't to write a review on the new camera.:D

It's ordered now, so hopefully it will arrive on Tuesday :thumb: Went for the FZ18, a case and 2 x 2GB Sandisk Extreme III SD cards :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
It's ordered now, so hopefully it will arrive on Tuesday :thumb: Went for the FZ18, a case and 2 x 2GB Sandisk Extreme III SD cards :)

Way to go! :thumb:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Nice to hear from you Quads and good luck Ian, with Quads advice i now have a Nikon D50 and D70...with a 2GB Ultra II card..

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hey just seen this thread and I must say you have made a good decision there Ian..

The Panny is one hell of a camera..
nod.gif

My Panny FZ7 takes excellent pics as you all know as I have posted a few up in the forum over the last 6 months..Its zoom feature is brilliant and the Leica Elmerit lenses are just awesome for a camera of this price, also the Image stabilisation feature is brilliant too...and you can do so much with it like a Dslr, Aperture priority, Shutter priority and its fantastic for bracketing takes 3 pics at once all different exposures..You can't go wrong mate...Its the mutts nuts as they say..:D

Couple of pics just to whet your appetite Ian from my Panny..Just so as you can see the quality of photograph that the Panny can take..It certainly does the Ferrari Enzo justice..:nod:

P1000292.jpg

P1000293.jpg

P1000313.jpg

P1000286.jpg

Ask a Question