New Camera Advice Please...

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Heres a decent comparison of the two....

http://snapsort.com/compare/Panasonic-TZ30-vs-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-HX20V

TZ30 wins it, just interesting to see the two side by side...

You beat me to that :thumb:

Please do consider this, reviews (web and mags) advice (from forum members) are all to be taken with a grain of salt. The important thing is that whatever you choose it has to be an informed decision. That is exactly what you are doing, in other words doing your homework so as to minimize any disappointments later. You certainly are on the right track.

Did I say you are also a true gentleman! :nod:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So. Went to John Lewis on the way home from work yesterday in the hope to have a look and a play with the two cameras i'm looking at.

I get there and guess what? Yep, neither of them had any battery left.....! :mad:

The Sony was totally dead and the Panasonic had enough left for me to see the Lumix logo then it died. How annoying......

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
How can these store sell something when they do not have their act together, sheesh!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So, an update is needed i feel...

Right, so i ended up ordering both the Sony and the Panasonic, i figured it was the only way i was actually going to get the chance to play with them both and decide which one to keep....

Ordered on the Wednesday night (the 5th) dispatched from Amazon on the Thursday, with free one day delivery courtesy of my Prime membership. - You may remember earlier i said i wanted it for the weekend as we were going to the Duxford Airshow. (which was great by the way, i'll try to get some pics up this weekend)

Queue HDNL. :rolleyes:

- Out for delivery on the Friday - Great.
- 5pm comes and goes - No parcel. :mad:
- Phone Amazon, They say they will try and get it delivered on the Saturday - Too late, i'm leaving at around 8am. No new toys for me then it would seem... :cry:
- Get home Saturday expecting to have been carded from HDNL. Nope.
- Sunday, go out and enjoy the sun - Parcel get left on the doorstep in full view.
- I phone Amazon, apparently i signed for it!! WTF? :eek:
- I complain to Amazon, cancel Prime membership, which they offer extend out of good faith instead, so i accepted that.

HDNL - worse courier company in the history of everything. :wall:

Anyway.................

So i messed about with them both and after taking many pictures i decided on a winner. :D

The Sony.

The pictures i took with it were better, less noise being the most obvious difference. Slightly better colours too. The pop up flash is something i'll have to get used to but not a deal breaker.

Sent the Panny back today - guess who collected it? Yodel (HDNL in disguise!) :lol:

Will try and get a few pics uploaded soon, but time is against me this weekend i feel.

TL;DR - HDNL are *CENSORED*, I picked the Sony. :)

Ask a Question