W/Defender 1347

Bill Sanderson MVP

OK - I'm going to try a fix that worked for someone else. Their problem was
somewhat different from yours, but I think this is probably the right
approach.

I have a message with yesterday's date in both the Announcements, and
..Signatures groups, giving a download URL for a direct download of the most
recent definition update. You will need that file saved to a location you
can get to easily--perhaps the desktop.

Please go to a command prompt in the Windows Defender installation
folder--typically c:\program files\windows defender.

type:

mpcmdrun RemoveDefinitions

and hit enter.

Then attempt updating using the saved definition file referenced above.

If that fails, try, at that same command prompt location

mpcmdrun RemoveDefinitions -All

Then attempt updating using the saved definition file referenced above.

I'm hoping that the problem here is a corrupted definition file, and that
the mpcmdrun process will be able to dislodge it, and allow normal updating
to resume.

It is also possible that this is something more generic about
AutoUpdate--but let's try this first and see how it goes.

Dave M

....a minor correction to Bill's mpcmdrun syntax. Don't forget the hyphens
before RemoveDefinitions :

mpcmdrun -RemoveDefinitions
mpcmdrun -RemoveDefinitions -All

Kayman

Sorry Bill,
Don't understand your instructions at all as I am not fluent in computer
lingo/terminology.
I am able to perform Start->Run->type: c:\program files\windows defender but
can not find a command prompt to enter either mpcmdrun -RemoveDefinitions or
mpcmdrun -RemoveDefinitions -All.

Pen

Kayman said:
Sorry Bill,
Don't understand your instructions at all as I am not fluent in
computer lingo/terminology.
I am able to perform Start->Run->type: c:\program files\windows
defender but can not find a command prompt to enter either
mpcmdrun -RemoveDefinitions or mpcmdrun -RemoveDefinitions -All.
Regards,
start/run/cmd tick ok
in the command box type CD c:\program files\windows defender
the prompt should change to c:\program files\windows defender
then execute the mpcmdrun commands.

Bill Sanderson MVP

Thanks. As it happens, at least on my machine, the syntax works as
written--you can leave off the dash on the first argument, but not on the
second.

(But I agree--I should have published the syntax as the app itself requests
it.)

Bill Sanderson MVP

Sorry--let me lay that out more clearly.

1) Download via this url, and save to the desktop:

http://www.download.windowsupdate.c..._86a9c41e57ee5cf43fed440ee96ac7af7842fb89.exe

2) Start, run, type in "cmd" without the quotes, and hit enter.
3) c: <enter> (or whatever drive letter Windows is installed on)
4) cd \program files\windows defender

(note that it is possible for Windows Defender to have been installed on any
available drive letter, so if you've used a non-standard location, you'd
need to adjust for this)

At this point, you should be at a cmd prompt looking something like:
c:\program files\windows defender>

Thats where you can type the mpcmdrun commands.

Kayman

Thanks Bill.
1) I was able to download "
mpas-fe_86a9c41e57ee5cf43fed440ee96ac7af7842fb89.exe " and saved the file to
my desktop.

2) Then I clicked Start==>Run and typed in "cmd" without the quotation marks
and hit Enter.
A window popped-up named: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe . In this window, the
following text is displayed:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.12600]
<C> Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Pattaya2005>

3) I then entered: C:\program files\Windows Defender. The following text was
displayed: 'C:\program' is not recognized as an internal or external
command, operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\Pattaya2005>
I am certain that Windows Defender was installed to a standard location - I
don't even know what a non-standard location is. The first time W/F was
downloaded automatically when updating/upgrading MSAS. Because of the recent
update problem of W/F, I uninstalled and re-installed "normally".
Obviously, I never got to #4) and am at a total loss! Wouldn't it be better
to uninstall this application again and if so is there a way to uninstall
**completely** so no *reminder* could interfere when re-installing W/D
(Beta2)?
Regards,
Kayman.

Dave M

Hi Kayman;

Uh Oh, syntax error again... in step 3 the command is:
CD C:\program files\Windows Defender
CD means Change Directory to... it's like clicking on a different folder in
Windows Explorer, except your doing it with word commands instead of a
mouse pointer.
So your almost there... Sometimes it's better to use Copy & Paste if you
know how... there's less chance of typing errors.

--

Regards, Dave

Bill Sanderson MVP said:
Sorry--let me lay that out more clearly.

1) Download via this url, and save to the desktop:

http://www.download.windowsupdate.c..._86a9c41e57ee5cf43fed440ee96ac7af7842fb89.exe

2) Start, run, type in "cmd" without the quotes, and hit enter.
3) c: <enter> (or whatever drive letter Windows is installed on)
4) cd \program files\windows defender

(note that it is possible for Windows Defender to have been installed on
any available drive letter, so if you've used a non-standard location,
you'd need to adjust for this)

At this point, you should be at a cmd prompt looking something like:
c:\program files\windows defender>

Thats where you can type the mpcmdrun commands.

Bill Sanderson MVP

Dave M is right--you have a typo in the command at the command-line
prompt--try cut and pasting from either his post or mine. Cut and paste
works even in a command-line window.

--

Bill Sanderson MVP said:
Sorry--let me lay that out more clearly.

1) Download via this url, and save to the desktop:

http://www.download.windowsupdate.c..._86a9c41e57ee5cf43fed440ee96ac7af7842fb89.exe

2) Start, run, type in "cmd" without the quotes, and hit enter.
3) c: <enter> (or whatever drive letter Windows is installed on)
4) cd \program files\windows defender

(note that it is possible for Windows Defender to have been installed on
any available drive letter, so if you've used a non-standard location,
you'd need to adjust for this)

At this point, you should be at a cmd prompt looking something like:
c:\program files\windows defender>

Thats where you can type the mpcmdrun commands.

Kayman

Hi Bill, Dave M and Pen:
Big thanks to all for your patience and contribution!

1) I finally was able to "rollback to default" using the prescribed commands
CD C:\program files\Windows Defender mpcmdrun -RemoveDefinitions and
mpcmdrun -RemoveDefinitions -All.

2) After rebooting, the W/F icon with exclamation mark appeared in the
taskbar. Opened W/F and it indicated that "Your definitions haven't been
updated in 176 days..."
Clicked onto Check Now button - W/F connected to the internet - message
appeared "Windows Defender was unable to complete the update:
0x80070663..." The color of the W/F icon in the taskbar turned "red".

3) Closed and reopened W/F. The W/F icon in the taskbar was "check marked".
The message with respect to the definitions update has disappeared and
replaced with "You computer is running normal".
I manually checked for updates - W/F connected to the internet followed by
the message "Windows Defender was unable to complete..."

Regards,
Kayman.

Bill Sanderson MVP said:
[...]

message
[...]

The automatic Definition Update 1.14.1530.8 for BETA Windows Defender
(KB915597) (2.70MB) failed after about 18%.

A consequent check in my update history don't indicate any failed
update operations.

I run an express scan and attempted to download/install manually.
The downloading operation appeared to run flawless but
a notice popped-up indicating that "Updates were unable to
successfully installed" and "The following updates were not
installed:
Definition Update 1.14.1530.8 for BETA Windows Defender (KB915597).

Sorry for the bad news, hope you can provide a fix.
Regards,
Kayman.

message
I think the best course would be to wait and see what happens on the
next update cycle. I can guess at things to try, but I think this
might take care of itself if we give it a chance.

Write back on this thread after the next update--could be tomorrow,
perhaps--and lets see how it went.

--

Hi Bill,
Well, after updating Windows Installer, I uninstalled and
re-downloaded/installed W/D and it appears that the definitions are
up-to-date. I run a full scan (no unwanted or harmful software
detected) and my computer is 'running normal'.
However, when clicking onto "Check for Updates" button (Help
options==>About Windows Defender==>Check for Updates) the
application is connecting to the internet to acquire new
definitions but it's followed immediately by the same old message:
"Windows Defender was unable to complete the update: 0x80070663.
This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch
package exists and that you can access it, or contact your
application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer
pa"
To summarize: a) Windows Installer is up-to-date; b) Windows
Defender appears to be up-to-date and is scanning 'normal' but the
manual update function is not working. I don't know if this will
have an effect when W/D is updating automatically the next time??
Kind regards,
Kayman.

message
The installer was published, I believe as a critical update. I
think you are doing all the right things.
You should definitely re-check an express scan to see whether
there's anything left--if you put in the Installer, I think there
may also be a successive update to the installer which won't be
offered until WU sees the installer in place.

I'm fuzzy about whether your issue is resolved at this
point--without going back and rereading the thread--how are you
doing?

--

Hi Bill,
Thanks for informative response.

message
If you are just receiving those updates, your system is not
current, although I'm not certain this is related to your
problem.

I'd not mess with those entries yet--I'd like to hear the answer
to Engel's question--and basically, I'd like to be certain that
you have run an express scan at Windows Update and applied all
offered updates.

If there are some that you are holding off on for some
particular reason, I'd be willing to hear about them--but that's
the shortest recipe I can offer.

--

Just reading through http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913754 and
discovered that registry entries/values c_867.nls and c_868.nls

According to my download history all updates are current and
'checked okay'. In fact WindowsDefender Definiton update
1.14.1525.2 for Beta WindowsDefender (KB915597) was
automatically downloaded twice (14 July & 16 July).
I run ZoneAlarm FireWall (free version 6.5.722.000), not ever
was there a problem with downloading M/S critical updates.
Any idea what error code 0x80070663 stands for?
Regards,

Your Defender can't access the Internet to update. Please see
if you have
Defender behind a firewall.

:

Please read the second part of my post and yes I
WindowsUpdates are current.

"Bill Sanderson MVP" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
I would connect the dialup internet connection, go to
WindowsUpdate, and do
an express scan.

--

Downloaded recommended update from 1051 to 1347 but
experienced problems
as my dial-up connection dropped out.
Re-downloaded successfully but after installation the
Windows Defender
window indicated: "Your definitions haven't been updated
in 160 days."
This can't be right as I am certain that v1051
automatically updated
frequently and this comment is in conflict with my
Microsoft up-date
history.
I was unable to update manually (clicking onto Check Now
button) as the
button was grayed out.
Anyway, I attributed this 'hick-up' to my dropped-out
dial connection
during initial download operation and decided to
uninstall Windows
Defender entirely followed by turning off System Restore
and scanning in
safe mode with Ad- Aware, SUPERAntiSpyware and EZ
Antivirus. All of the
scans resulted okay.
After rebooting I created a new restore point and again
downloaded and
installed Windows Defender. This time the Windows
Defender window
indicated that: "Your definitions haven't been updated in
170 days."
(Please note the 10 day difference). But the was able
clicking onto the
Check Now button which produced a pop-up indicating:
"Windows Defender
was unable to complete the update: 0x80070663. This patch
package could
not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and
that you can
access it, or contact your application vendor to verify
that this is a
valid Windows Installer pa.
I then tried to remove signature file Msiexec /x
{A5CC2A09-E9D3-49EC-923D-03874BBD4C2C} but this didn't
work either and
producing a pop-up window: "This package could not be
opened. Verify
that..."
Appreciate any assistance to help me with this challenge.
Many thanks in advance,

Bill Sanderson MVP

So--now what happens if you double click on that item with the very long
name that you downloaded to the desktop in step 1 of the original procedure?

--

wrote in message
[...]

in 170 days."
[...]

I am unable to describe precisely what happened.
After double-clicking " mpas-fe_86a9c41e57ee5cf43fed440ee96ac7af7842fb89.exe
" a small window popped-up called "Extracting Files" displaying some kind of
text and a "running bar" (probably) indicating an installation process?? All
this happens within a nano second or less.
Rebooted , accessed W/D but again was unable to manually update (the same
old message appeared).
Then I repeated the whole process one more time as originally prescribed:
1) Clicked Start==>Run and typed in "cmd" without the quotation marks and
hit Enter.
2) Copied & Pasted " CD C:\program files\Windows Defender " without the
quotation marks and hit Enter - c:\program files\windows defender> appeared.
3) Copied & Pasted " mpcmdrun -RemoveDefinitions " without quotation marks -
okay, rollback was successful.
4) Copied & Pasted "mpcmdrun -RemoveDefinitions -All " without quotation
marks - okay, rollback was successful.
5) Double-clicked " mpas-fe_86a9c41e57ee5cf43fed440ee96ac7af7842fb89.exe " a
small window popped-up called "Extracting Files" displaying some kind of
text and a "running bar" (probably) indicating an installation process?? All
this happens within a nano second or less.
6) Opened W/D indicating "No unwanted or harmful software detected. Your
computer is running normally. Last scan: Today at 6;57 AM (Quick scan). Scan
schedule: Daily at 2:00 AM. Real-time protection> On. Definition version:
1.14.1530.8 created 18-Jul-06 at 12:53 AM.
7) Attempted to update manually, W/F connected to internet but then the same
message appeared: "Windows Defender was unable to complete the update:
0x80070663. This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch

Bill Sanderson MVP said:
[...]

message: "Windows Defender was unable to complete the update:
[...]

in message

wrote in message
[...]

Bill, for your information:
Just opened "Engel's" post of 21-Jul-06 9:53 AM.
"For Signature v.1.14.1532.14 Manual Download from
http://www.download.windowsupdate.c..._00373941349ca1e41cdac637a17e11b7c8402f22.exe "
I was able to manually download using the above URL. The Definition Version
is now: 1.141532.14 created on 20-Jul-06 at 2:30 AM.
Regards,
Kayman.

Kayman said:
[...]
same message appeared: "Windows Defender was unable to complete the
update: 0x80070663. This patch package could not be opened. Verify that